R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the A/C
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:20am
Hello Melisa,

All good advise from experienced podders. I tow my 177 with a Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0L V6. The truck is rated around 5000 lbs.

The 4.0 V6 does pretty well but I wouldn't want anything with less tow rating or horse power, sometimes I wish I had a V8. I just had a transmission cooler installed to extend the life of the transmission. A smaller vehicle (may) physically be able to tow a Pod but do you want to put overdue stain on your tow vehicle/motor/transmission and have issues down the road. If you happen to be towing in a windy area things could get interesting...

Good luck and best wishes.
2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:43am
Here is a web site “Travel Trailer Weight Calculator” you can enter your trailer and tow vehicle weights and other numbers and get “The primary purpose of this calculator is to answer the question: "How heavy a travel trailer can I tow?"
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Dynamics of towing
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7315
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:08am
    I will add I tried to tow our r-pod 171 with a jeep liberty that had a 4 cyl. 150 hp. and a 5 speed manual transmission. It would reach a top speed of about 50 mph on a flat road. I turned around and went back home and gave up on the idea of the Liberty as a tow vehicle. It is not only power you will be lacking but control with large trucks passing you or if you need to make sudden turn. I agree safety and the stress of your engine and transmission would not be good.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

abejita76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:05pm
Again, thanks for all the concerned replies.  The care for fellow 'podders is fabulous.  Thumbs Up

A couple of things:
1) Our Forester is an XT, which is a turbo (someone commented on us using a non-turbo engine).  We also had an after-market suspension put in specifically to assist with towing, which made a difference with our PUP, as well as a sway bar, class II hitch, and of course a brake controller.  We never had any issues with the engine struggling or overheating, even when climbing our local mountain range (>4000' elevation gain) in the summer.  Weight-wise, there won't be much difference between the two (2200# vs 2400#).  We also are thinking about a transmission cooler and plan to get special hitch adaptors to help with sway, etc.

2) We are still contemplating purchasing one, but without the a/c or m/w.  Based on the actual weight of the unit we almost bought at #2458 fully loaded, subtracting out the a/c and m/w at 150#, we will be roughly 2300# (I'm assuming the extra 163# over base weight is the battery, propane, etc).  To be clear, I have no intention of loading more than ~90# into the Pod to be certain we don't go over the 2400# limit of our Subaru (to be confirmed via local truck scale, free to the public in Oregon when not in use).  Water will be obtained and drained out at the campground.  Though the Forester can handle much more based on the loads towed by Europeans and Australians (with careful weight adjustments r/t tongue weight as % of total weight, etc - see prior article), we are not willing to take on the liability.

3) As for the aerodynamics, that one had me concerned for a bit.  It certainly may still be a problem that forces us to drive slower than desired or even avoid I-5, but after doing a quick Google search, I came across both posts by other Forester owners who have towed R-Pods successfully, as well as a bunch of photos of owner's TV and R-PODS.  Suffice it to say, as for drag, many of them were similar to the Forester in shape/height, and some were officially rated at the same or lower tow capacity than the Forester. 

Ultimately, lucky for us, there is a company only 2 hours from us that rents R-Pods, and they have a 172 available.  We're going to take it for a test run to be sure nothing scary pops up.  

Again, thanks to all the advice.  We'll keep you posted on how the rental goes, and if we end up purchasing.
Arturo & Melissa
Luna (the crazy yellow lab) & Frank (the pug)
(Soon to be) '16 172 & '04 Forester XT
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 3:21pm
FYI, I just measured our 172 a couple weeks ago at about 2970 lbs. That's lightly loaded (1+ days of food and clothes), single group 24 battery, single 20lb propane tank and 30g or so of water.  No air-conditioner, no micro-wave, no tv or other frills, except two aluminum camp chairs, cooking utensils, sheets and blankets. This basically an off the lot pod out for the weekend.

If you got rid of the water, that would bring it down to 2700 lbs or so. This model is advertised as 2147 lbs, but I'm not clear on how they get that. I know that's no battery, no propane, probably no spare tire, and maybe the air sucked out of the interior.. but I've been through my numbers and there's a few hundred pounds un-accounted for. I'm not sure you could get the trailer down under 2400 without stripping the interior, or something else as drastic.
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:01am
    I think that they may deduct hitch weight from axle weight.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:24am
UVW includes tongue and axle weights. When looking for weight, don't forget the 6 gallons in the WH. That's another 50#. Some manufactures, but not FR, secretly include this in their FW capacity. It's a false claim since that 6 gal does not add to usable water after you fill the WH, but it looks better in the marketing brochure.

My 2013 RP172 was advertised at 2128# dry. When it arrived the yellow tag said 2407# with A/C, micro, no battery, and one empty propane tank. Fully outfitted with batteries, two full propane tanks, R-Dome, and bike carrier it went over 2700#.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:22pm
Personally, I'd save all the money you are talking about for mods to your 12 year old Subaru and just get a new tow vehicle that can do the job - or not get a pod. 

Curious to see how the test rental goes.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:00pm
Ditto what everyone else said.  I'm towing a 171 with a V6 Honda Ridgeline that is rated for 5,000 lb. and wish I had a bigger tow vehicle.  It's not the weight but the wind resistance that is the issue.

The dry weights of the pods listed do not include items such as the battery, A/C, propane tank, convection microwave and any water you might carry.  You always want to keep a few gallons in the black tank so that any residue doesn't dry out and harden.  Then you want to keep a few gallons in the fresh tank for using the toilet, washing hands while travelling, more if you plan to dry camp.  water weighs about 8 lb. per gallon.  You also didn't factor any cords, hoses, supplies, utensils, food, clothing, and other items you normally stock the pod with which can add 100-200 lbs. easily.  I haven't weight mine, but I would hazard to guess my fully loaded 171 (2300 lb. dry) is closer to 3,000 lb. once everything is factored in.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:23pm
Even if it can pull 4000 pounds, it definitely won't handle more than a few hundred pounds of tongue weight (my Suburban only has a 1000 pound limit).  

As was mentioned above, if you get into an accident your insurance will not cover you and you will be exposed to a potential lawsuit.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>