R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterize

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterize
    Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm
This past November I winterized following a member's instructions. I modified them and this is what I did:
UNFORTUNATELY I NEVER DID FIND FIND THE BYPASS VALVES NOTED IN STEP 3. NOW I KNOW THEY ARE UNDER THE BED. PROBLEM: I HAVE FILLED THE WATER TANK, I TURNED ON THE PUMP BUT WHILE I HEAR PUMP RUNNING I CANNOT GET WATER TO THE KITCHEN SINK. I GOT SOME WATER TO THE BATHROOM SINK. IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN GIVE ME ADVICE?

RPod Winterization Modified Forum using compressed air; Anti-freeze only in drains 

1). Open both low-point drains underneath the camper. These hang down along the left edge under the floor behind the wheel. You will need two crescent wrenches, one to hold the upper "nut", one to twist off the lower nut (you can do the lower plug by hand.). 

2) Open the hot and cold valves on the kitchen sink, and then open the outside panel for the hot water heater; remove the anode rod plug on the hot water heater. Water will gush out - but it will not be under pressure. Inspect and replace the anode if necessary (about every two years; in 2015 it was not necessary but I bought a spare). The water heater must be stored dry, do not try to fill it with antifreeze. Wait for the water to stop running out of the drains and plug hole. Using a garden hose, flush any debris from inside the water heater tank. You can pull open the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater to speed up the draining process. Insert the anode rod, using a layer of Teflon tape on the threads. 

3) I DID NOT DO THIS STEP AS I THINK OUR UNIT IS DIFFERENT. Turn all 3 bypass valves on the hot water heater. The valves are inside the trailer on the back of the water heater - look on the outside of the camper to see where the water heater is located. The valves on the cold and hot water lines will now be perpendicular to the water lines (closed), and the valve between the hot and cold lines will now be parallel (open). 

4) Attach a "blow-out plug" to the city water connection; be sure to use Teflon tape so it is a tight seal. MARK HAS ONE WITH HIS AIR COMPRESSOR. Apply LOW pressure air (ABOUT 25 psi) until the low-point drains stop sputtering. Do the same for the toilet and shower. Close the low-point drains finger-tight. 
5) Open each valve inside the camper, one at a time, until it sputters and then close it; open the low-point drains again and then close when drained. Remove the blow-out plug.  If your camper has the black tank rinse connection, apply air to this connection for several seconds using the blow-out plug I DID NOT DO THIS BUT I DID RUN FRESH WATER THROUGH IT. 

6) Inside the trailer, remove the access panel for the water pump (on the 177 it’s BELOW THE SINK MUST REMOVE WOOD PANEL near the water heater). On the intake line for the water pump, you'll notice a valve and about 2 1/2' of tubing that's loose on one end. I DID NOT USE THIS HOSE AS IT IS TO DRAW IN ANTI FREEZE

7) Outside and underneath the trailer, open your freshwater tank drain valve and allow it to empty. 

8).Pour some RV antifreeze into the shower and sink drains to fill the water traps

9). Open the black water and gray water dump valves make sure the black and gray waste water tanks are empty. The last dumps of the season fill both tanks full of water before dumping. Repeat at least once
10) Set the fridge's door latch so it stays open - look at the assembly on the wall of the fridge, you can slide it out some so when the door is latched it stays open enough to prevent mold from growing. 
11) Remove the 9 volt batteries from the smoke and CO detectors, and make sure the lead-acid battery is disconnected.

kp57george
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
the fact that you have some water to the bath sink is a good sign.  I would first try too remove the screen that is on the end of the kitchen faucet. sometimes this gets clogged with debris and blocks the water. It simply unscrews off the end.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:51pm
Ditto! That is usually the problem.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:41pm
The diverter valve for the antifreeze pickup could still be partially switched, and not completely pulling from the tank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kp57george View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 11:14am
AS IT TURNED OUT THE WATER LINE TO THE TOILET FLUSH VALVE BURST. I HAD TO REPLACE THE THETFORD WATER MODULE PACKAGE. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FINE ON MY WINTERIZING USING THE AIR COMPRESSOR AND A LITTLE ANTI FREEZE IN DRAINS. MY REPAIR MAN RECOMMENDED THAT WHEN  I WINTERIZE AGAIN TO BLOCK THE FLUSH VALVE OPEN USING A PIECE OF WOOD TO BE DOUBLY SURE THERE IS NO LIQUID IN THE WATER MODULE. HE ALSO SAID TO DO THE AIR COMPRESSION TWICE. GOING CAMPING TOMORROW.
kp57george
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 7:53am
Glad you found out what the problem was. I ended up not only using compressed air, but also pumping anti-freeze through the system. I was afraid that something like that could happen. As it is, after a good flushing and sanitizing, I don't notice any residue of the anti-freeze. As part of the flushing/sanitizing, I followed up the chlorine with Sodium bicarbonate solution. I think that helped. I had read about that somewhere.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply