R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing Vehicle Air Lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Vehicle Air Lift
    Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 3:50pm
This is a "mod" for the towing vehicle, as opposed to the pod... I recently installed an Air Lift 1000 air bag suspension kit into my Wrangler. Just the basic kit, manual inflation, that installs in the two rear springs. I installed it myself, as it's pretty straight forward.  I must say, it did make a big difference in the handling of the vehicle while towing the pod, and eliminated most of the rear-end bounce caused by the trailer. Also helps keep the vehicle level.  They make the kits for various vehicles. I highly recommend one.

2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:36am
Please update us after the season how you feel about the air bags. I installed a Firestone air lift system on my Hyundai Santa Fe (twice!) and both times the air lines cracked and deflated the air bags. I was not impressed. They worked great briefly, but did not hold up. I now have Sumo Springs and they have survived the winter - we will see how they last during towing season.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:05am
I would bve interested on how it handles the test of time also.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:13pm
Much better to spend the money on a WDH.  While making the TV level, it doesn't transfer weight like a WDH will, and the WDH will improve the ride quality since it is an added suspension system.  I had a set of Air Lift 1000 on my Sienna before I bought my E2 and there was little comparison between the two.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
Originally posted by techntrek

Much better to spend the money on a WDH.  While making the TV level, it doesn't transfer weight like a WDH will, and the WDH will improve the ride quality since it is an added suspension system.  I had a set of Air Lift 1000 on my Sienna before I bought my E2 and there was little comparison between the two.

Well so far, at least with a 172 and my Wrangler, I haven't felt the need for a WDH. Seems to handle pretty well. I plan on doing some dirt and gravel roads this summer. More off-road activities, at least within the capabilities of the pod. Does anybody now how a WDH behaves off road? My first inclination is to think its not going to do well, but maybe you can run with the bars disconnected?
2016 Pod 172
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:19am
As a former professional wrench, who has in fact used air bags on a pu truck to increase capacity, I found the air lines and bags to be a problem!The lines are easily damaged by a stray tree branch. In my experience the bags don't last long enough to justify the expense. If your talking the air bags used commercially on large trucks, that's another story.

timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:07am
The air bags seemed durable enough, but I was surprised at how light weight the lines were. I was very careful to zip tie them up and behind the frame so they wouldn't get caught by road debris. Definitely a concern.
2016 Pod 172
rynosurf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:01pm
I had a set of ride-rites on a '96 Tacoma and a set of firestones on my '06 Tacoma for about ten years each with no major problems. I had a slight leak in 1 after a few years but all I had to do was check it every other week or so. If I had gauges with an in cab inflation set up it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I think they work great, the only reason I got rid of them on my 06 in favor of some heavy springs is because I like to go off-roading. If I didn't have gear in my truck the bags would be too stiff, if I aired them down them I wouldn't have any lift.

The air lines are the same as they use on air brakes so they are pretty reliable. As with anything they should be inspected on a regular basis. I never had to replace mine. If they are plumbed right you shouldn't have to worry about snagging them at all.
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by timpod

Well so far, at least with a 172 and my Wrangler, I haven't felt the need for a WDH. Seems to handle pretty well. I plan on doing some dirt and gravel roads this summer. More off-road activities, at least within the capabilities of the pod. Does anybody now how a WDH behaves off road? My first inclination is to think its not going to do well, but maybe you can run with the bars disconnected?

You don't feel the need for a WDH, but you obviously feel the need for air bags.  That doesn't make sense...

The WDH helps keep the rear of tow vehicle from sagging and distributes some of that weight to the front axle.

As far as off road with a WDH, I feel it would be fine.  I wouldn't take the R-Pod over too rough of roads anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply