R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeLaPodza 179er MODTHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DeLaPodza 179er MODTHREAD
    Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 4:51am

Been lounging around for awhile asking questions and learning as much as I can from everyone and decided to make my own thread to log all the things iv done and want to do with the POD.

I have a 2016 HRE 179 dubbed DeLaPodza. Nothing has been done to it up to this point other than adding a 30lb propane tank.

Near future mods:

Adding a rack above the spare tire to hold whatevs I need for the road. I have an old hitch mounted rack that I will use for this and weld some bracing from the spare tire mount to the rack. I may also cut the small "hitch" off the trailer and add a 2" receiver "hitch" to have more options for it with accessories and what nots. (Must have)

Building a mud flap attachment for my TV hitch to protect the POD form rocks and anything else that the TV may kick up. (Must have)

Relocating the sewer hose storage to the rear and out from under the trailer. somewhere around the spare tire area.
Edit 08MAY2016:Sewer hose storage will be mounted behind tool chest on tongue most likely. Standby for updates.

Bed frame mod for easier access to the bypass valves for winterization and I have some ideas that I may try to incorporate that can help with storage while traveling. Edit 04JUN16: Convert queen bed to table area along with easier access to water tank and valves.

Ill be getting another 30lb propane tank before next summer and will get the propane tank cover in and install that on the front and may also relocate the battery.

After my first RDome install I found that I neeeed to replace the screws and make some other adjustments to the rail for easier installation. (Must have)

If I can find the right box for a good deal I will for sure be adding a tool box of some sort on the tongue for the batteries and extra storage.
Edit 03MAY16: Full size tool chest $40 ()

Mods that I want to do:

- Dual batteries in series w/ cutoff switch.
- Extend diamond plate up for better coverage and protection on front of POD.
- Remove some of the decals, I am not a big fan of some of them. I may also design my own and order some online.
- Add window to door.
- Add TINTED port hole window to wet bath. (wife is not totally on board with this. . . yet lol)
- Replace the stabilization jacks with "hideaway" or possibly removable jacks not sure yet.
- Been doing some research for lifting the POD about another inch or two and for sure adding bigger tires and possibly different wheels with different offset for wider tires. I may have to raise the fenders along with doing the bigger tires but not sure yet.
- Replace all speakers inside and out along with possibly adding a sub woofer inside for that extra bump in the POD for those tailgaters.
- Multiple mods to the interior that are pretty basic with shelving and storage what nots.

BIG MODS:
These will be things that I would like but are not too realistic at this time and may not happen for a long while if not ever happen. But we will see where the road takes us.

- Replacing the axle with a heavier duty axle possibly adding leaf springs.
   - Adding a motorcycle rack to rear for easier get around at camp sites or where ever else I end up being at with the POD. Especially for hunting/fishing.
- Getting a new paint job or vinyl job for a more sporty look. No real ideas yet but once I get settled back home I will look more into this mod for sure.

I'm sure I will come up with more things but since I have had the POD and with all the mods I have seen here and other forums this is what I have at this point. Some of these things I need to get done before next summer (the must haves). I will be working on a few this summer for sure and into the next year.

Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:30am
Welcome! It looks like nobody has to warn you about how instantly addictive the modding is, it sounds like you have a past in fab and modding. I am very interested to see if you eventually add more diamond plate to the front, I'd like to learn a little more about metal fab. Also looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a toolbox, one can never have too many tools on the road.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 12:06pm
Look forward to seeing some pictures!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:05pm
One way to get a little more lift is larger wheels + tires.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:39am
Originally posted by techntrek

One way to get a little more lift is larger wheels + tires.

That's the initial plan for sure, also will be doing a higher load range tire, im thinking these are load range c but have never really checked just from experience with other trailers this size I have seen that. I want a higher load range as well because when driving I see the tires are a little squishy with bumps and what not. Not sure if a higher ply tire will fix that or not but we will see. Im going to run these tires till they are dead and then when the time comes for new ones get the bigger and stronger ones.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:33pm
Picked up a full size truck bed tool chest for 40$ the other day and after looking at the size and what I have to work with on the tongue, it looks like ill have to cut and weld the bracing for the propane tank up some. But I will most likely order the double 30lbs tank holder and install that as well when I do the tool chest. Ill upload some pics of the tool chest soon.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:27pm
well looking at selling and getting a bit bigger trailer, if I do sell it will be this month. iv got a friend that's wants an Rpod and may be taking it off my hands. We will see where this road takes us
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 6:12pm
Disregard last post, I been doing some looking around and found a mod that will optimize the space for extra seating and walking space when needed. Also did some measurements and found that the slide is good enough for 2 5'8"ish adults to sleep in and that was one of my biggest reasons for looking for a new trailer. I think I can make the 179er work out great for our needs.

Updating the mod list: convert the queen size bed to a seating/sleeping area. This will be similar to the 182 with regards to the front area. I saw a post that someone has already done this (I think) and looked very nice. Even thought the 179 was my first choice and still is my favorite floor plan I never liked that it had the wasted space under the bed and the bed is useless other than being a bed and the mattress is horrible and I'm not big into make it a luxary sleeping home. My camping will be spent more outside than inside. this will open up the walking area and add seating for 3-4 more persons and another table, and it will be right in front of the TV for the kiddos on those rainy days. All I gotta do now is either find an upholsterer to make the cushions or get my sewing game up and order some material and cushions/foam to make my own seats. Most likely make my own even if they are not perfect they will suffice. I don't like the material in the pods anyways and always thought that solid black or solid dark brown interior would like very good in these and vinyl is pretty cheap for the most part. I may even look at doing leather on the top part of the cushions but only if they price is right. This mod I will try my hardest to get done within the next year before our big trip back to Texas from Alaska but is not one of my highest priorities but for sure a need for me.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:21pm
Welcome back.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:44am
unfortunately I had to get rid of the pod. I hear that they may be making a little bigger pod in the future. Is this rumor? Either way I will be looking at getting another when I get back to the states within the next year or so. After having the 179er and being out in it a few times we really wanted to get something a tad bit bigger or at least different config. If the models stay the same and floor plans do not adjust when we go to look at pods in the future. I am almost certain we will be looking into the 182G. Bunks should have been a priority in the first place. Hopefully when the time comes they may be making some new floor plans and possibly a few feet longer and wider as well. Best of luck and hope to be back soon. Ill still be around keeping up with the new stuff and learning as much as I can about trailering. If it was not for being on this island I would most likely still have my trailer today.
 Post Reply Post Reply