R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoad equalizer - Sway control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Load equalizer - Sway control
    Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 5:58am

I did a quick search on the word "Murano" and found a few posts, like this:

Murano

So, apparently, one or two have done it. However, I would be reluctant to argue with the Nissan mechanics. Personally, I'd rather see a class III hitch. Also, @3500lbs tow rating, you are at the bottom end of performance and might not be completely satisfied. Good luck!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 9:56am
According to Reese, a very credible hitch maker, a class II hitch is NOT rated for use with a WDH and is usually 1-1/4" square.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

Measure the opening of your receiver. If it's only 1-1/4", not 2", I would say no way. With the larger 179 and the small Murano you will definitely need WDH. If it's a true class II hitch it's probably only mounted to the body and not the frame. In addition the Murano probably has a "unibody". That means no real frame, just an integrated body. I would check with a few other dealers, but weigh everything they say carefully, especially if they say "no problem". 

You might also send a private message to jjkashery and ask him about his Murano. He last logged in last August so he may not be around.

I short I'd agree with David's assessment. Marginal at best if that. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Greg

Now I'm really worried about the 3,500 lb towing capacity of the Murano. Nissan has a Class II hitch and rates it for towing, but the two Nissan mechanics I talked to said don't tow anything with a Murano. Now I don't know what to do. A new vehicle is out of the question

Towing, and towing a pod, can be two VERY different things.

A jet ski or two is vastly different from a pod. Even a 3500 pound boat. As much as I hate to say it, if a different tow vehicle isn't an option, a different camper must be. Maybe a T@B or a snoozypod..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 12:11pm

Thanks for all your replies. Now I'm really worried about the 3,500 lb towing capacity of the Murano. Nissan has a Class II hitch and rates it for towing, but the two Nissan mechanics I talked to said don't tow anything with a Murano. Now I don't know what to do. A new vehicle is out of the question. Does anyone out there tow their R-Pod with a Murano? 

I need to make a decision by Monday when my loan papers go through. Help

If you will be doing local trips w/o mountains, you'll be fine.  Just don't go across the Rockies.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by SandD

towing with an expedition and longer shank? How much clearance under the shank and have you ever drug it?

I have the same problem as you and furpod with my Suburban.  Get the longer shank, they aren't that expensive.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SandD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 12:29pm
Buy a longer shank and use the old one for a boat anchor?
Shouldn't need to. ETrailer should swap the old one out.
Anyway what length did you get? Understand the other two options are a 9 1/2 and 11 1/2".
There are two types of people in the world. Those who like RPODs and those who are wrong.

Rpodder
2014 RPOD 178
06 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
Greg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 1:01pm
I was planning on placing a Class III hitch on the Murano, but the performance issue has really got me questioning the wisdom of this. I can't afford a $6-8K transmission. Maybe we should wait a year and try again with a different vehicle.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 1:44pm

I was planning on placing a Class III hitch on the Murano, but the performance issue has really got me questioning the wisdom of this. I can't afford a $6-8K transmission. Maybe we should wait a year and try again with a different vehicle.

That sounds like the best plan, Greg. The general wisdom is 3500# rating is marginal but 5000# is adequate with a class III receiver or better and WDH+sway. Also look for AWD , 4WD, or rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is not preferred for towing.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

That sounds like the best plan, Greg. The general wisdom is 3500# rating is marginal but 5000# is adequate with a class III receiver or better and WDH+sway. Also look for AWD , 4WD, or rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is not preferred for towing.

+1. I hate to discourage anyone from podding but I honestly think that isn't enough vehicle to do the job. As I previously posted, we had a 2012 Escape v6 and bought the pod on an impulse, also thinking it would be fine but ended up buying the Tacoma 2 days later. After reading this thread I asked my wife if she thought we would have bought the pod, knowing we had to buy another vehicle to tow it, and we both agreed we probably wouldn't have. AND we both agreed what a mistake that would have been, because we haven't regretted the pod for a minute!

Obviously, your finances should dictate your decision. But just know that when you can do it, you won't regret it!
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 4:15pm
In addition to the marginal towing capacity, the Murano has a CVT (constantly variable transmission) rather than a standard 5-speed (or whatever).  While some report success using CVT-equipped vehicles for towing, I personally wouldn't do it.  The transmission would be the weakest link in your towing chain, IMO. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>