R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Method for Propane Level guesstimates?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Method for Propane Level guesstimates?
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:34pm
I do carry a scale ==> http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Gauge-GG-1100-Original/dp/B0012GTU3O

I use it mostly at home for the three twenty pounders I keep. My neighborhood filling station charges me $20 for a 20 pounder no matter how empty the tank is. They've charged the same thing for three years - go figure. When camping, I mostly don't worry about it cuz one 20 pounder lasts a looooong time and propane is so easy to find. I do carry a 1 gallon tank for BBQing that I could easily hook up as main if I needed to ==> http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 6:17am
Just curious has to those of you that have two tanks; how many of you have both tanks mounted on the tongue?

Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:37am
I have two tanks mounted on the tongue with an auto switch.  Makes it real easy.  I can tell at a glance when a tank is empty, but I have plenty of time to get it filled.  It's not a lot of weight anyway, but since both tanks are almost never full, and if they are, they don't stay that way long.  So they don't weigh as much as you might think.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:07am
If you are willing to spend the bucks, get a transparent tank.  A secondary advantage for such tanks is they are lightweight
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by P and D Podders

Just how does the warm water method work? I have just returned from a trip to Colorado and after using the heat for 4 nights and cooking we only used 2 gallons. A 20LB tank holds about 5.5 gallons.

It is really quite simple. warm water heats the tank. The liquid is a better conductor of heat than the vapors. Where there is liquid propane, the metal of the tank cools rapidly. You can easily feel that since the part above the liquid level will stay warm enough to let you feel the temperature difference.

You should realize that while you may think a 20 lb tank should hold about 5.5 gallons, the actual capacity is 4.7 gallons. The overfill prevention device will cut off the filling at that point. If the bleeder valve is used, this is also the point where liquid will start to come out of the bleeder valve, indicating full.

This site has some interesting information about tanks and filling:
http://www.elivermore.com/propane.htm
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:36am
Two weeks back I had to get two new 20Lb tanks for my Weber grill, they were past the cert date. The place I got them only sold the type with the gauge on them. So those will become my pod tanks. I know they aren't accurate, but it is better than nothing. I'll post my review on them at the end of the season.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:43am
I can already tell you what your review will probably be like.
The gauge on the tank is only a relative indicator of the propane level. When it reads what one would expect to be "empty", it really means that the level is "low." There will still be a gallon or so remaining when the gauge its the red. I though it was a fault, but after talking to the manufacturer, it was explained that this was the case. I don't rely on the gauge except as a relative indicator.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:57am
I'm not going to rely on the gauges either. I just want to know if I am on the low end on a cold night, that is the only time I care about suddenly running out. I would rather just swap tanks before I go to bed. I can always throw the low tank back on in the morning, and then kill that one off during the day etc. I have to put the new tank on this weekend anyhow, maybe I will play a little game and see how fast I can switch tanks out (Forrest Gump!).
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:22pm
Has anyone asked fwunder his method for checking the propane level? I'm sure there is a PERFECT use of frozen peas.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:32pm
LOL on the peas.

The problem with the tanks with the pressure gauges is the tank pressure stays the same until near the very end.  If the tank has a float gauge, that will be accurate.  Still easier to pour some hot water to see the actual line, IMO.

BTW, the hardware store where I usually fill my tanks recently noticed that one of them had expired a year or so ago (they kept filling it but not checking the date).  They re-certified it for another 5 years for about $10.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>