R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"What's behind panel #1?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "What's behind panel #1?"
    Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:24pm
For anyone who has a pod with similar kitchen layout as the RP-171 shown in the pic below, do you happen to know what is in the area behind the panel above the CD/DVD unit? The wife asked if it could be turned into extra storage. The panel seems super thin so I am thinking it can easily be removed. Just wondering if anyone has seen inside of that space yet.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:26pm
I wonder if you unscrewed the radio and slid it out, you might find out?
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:49pm
That's what I plan on doing soon. My long term plan was to put a speaker on the side of the cabinet, and rewire it to be in true stereo with the speaker over the TV. That mod was going to happen later this summer. Coincidentally the wife asked about storage today, so both mods may happen sooner. I was just wondering if anyone had seen in there, but if not I'll probably pull the unit out in a few weeks.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:16am
In our 171, there's only a small wire bundle for the radio. 

I used a coping saw to make the opening, a template to make the door (imperfectly following the ceiling curve is the only thing that I'm really unhappy about), softwood from a board (half inch thick as I remember it, the Pod's in storage) for a flush fit of the door and stained for a good match, tempered hardboard for a floor, two small hinges at the bottom, roller catch latch and a small hook to hang stuff on temporarily and to grip for opening the door. 

It's a useful modification, we use it to store 3 or 4 rolls of paper towels and some knapkins and other light stuff. I'd include pics but I haven't been able to figure out how to size to fit the requirements.
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:28am
Good question...

On my 2010 model 171, that area is a shelf with a cargo net and a flip down TV/DVD/Radio hangs under the shelf.   My wife stores a lot of foodstuffs on that shelf.  Shelf and cabinet space is premium on a small 171.  I can't believe that FR thought it would be better to take up that whole space just for the radio/TV control panel.

Maybe you could make the area above the control panel into a shelf or small cabinet?
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:14am
In the 179, there is no space above the radio. However, there is significant space behind it. On the bed side, the wall space is taken up by the television and connectors for antenna, cable and satellite connectors, and power for the television. On the bathroom side, there is the potential to make a small cubbyhole. I would have to watch out for the vent pipe for the black water tank though. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:54am
On the 179, with the radio so high, my old eyes even with bifocals, have a hard time reading the fine print on the black radio  box.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:04am
My plan is to make space out of it as possible, we will roll with it and decide what the best use is and then I will customize it as necessary. I am going to put a high quality speaker in the cabinet, so the back end of it will eat up some room.  Even if I can make a small space out of it, then that is huge on a 171. We would be happy even if I can just make a place to put a tiny spice rack in, that would be helpful when we go "real" camping later this year. Once parked and set up, the wife would love it if we could throw small shakers of salt & pepper and a crucial spices and herbs - just so she grab them quick. The wife loves to cook, I am the luckiest man in the world!Smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:44am
EDIT #2: scratch everything I said earlier. When I pulled out the speaker, I realized I spaced out and they are 6" units. The wall is 3" deep and the hole is already big enough for a high end speaker.  I was able to cancel the other stuff on Amazon. I happened to be near BB and tested out a pair of JBL GX602, they sounded great so I grabbed them. The other speaker is on the opposite side of the bath, so I am hoping the wall is deep enough too so I can throw that one in at the same time. I'll document it in my other thread.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:17pm
On my older 171 that whole area (radio and panel) was an open shelf with a net on front.  We stored a ton up there so I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to fill it up with anything.  Also I added a shelf to the area to the right of it which was also useful space.  If they wanted to add a radio they should have put it there.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>