R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway Bar Vs Weight Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bar Vs Weight Distribution
    Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

Can you just pull the pin out of the E2 to disconnect while the Pod is parked at a site?

If I understand your question the answer is NO. Like any WDH, the E2 exerts a lot of force on the bars when traveling. To relieve the pressure you have to raise the tongue using the tongue jack until the bars are loose. Then you remove the bars, lower the tongue, release the ball latch, and raise the tongue to disengage the ball. Reverse to couple up. For this reason many folks eventually add an electric tongue jack. I used the manual jack with the POD, but my wife made me buy an electric when we got the new Camplite. Now life is much better. DO NOT try to decouple the hitch without going through the above sequence. There are large stresses and stored energy built up in the bars and improper use can lead to personal injury. The Anderson has a different method of relieving stress, but still requires careful attention.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

If I understand your question the answer is NO. Like any WDH, the E2 exerts a lot of force on the bars when traveling. To relieve the pressure you have to raise the tongue using the tongue jack until the bars are loose. Then you remove the bars, lower the tongue, release the ball latch, and raise the tongue to disengage the ball. Reverse to couple up. For this reason many folks eventually add an electric tongue jack. I used the manual jack with the POD, but my wife made me buy an electric when we got the new Camplite. Now life is much better. DO NOT try to decouple the hitch without going through the above sequence. There are large stresses and stored energy built up in the bars and improper use can lead to personal injury. The Anderson has a different method of relieving stress, but still requires careful attention.

Thanks. I saw a youtube video in the mean time. The guy showed the procedure for lifting it up to pop the bars off before decoupling. Should be convenient enough. I already ordered it on Amazon, seems like a wise investment for only $266...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:35pm
Not long ago someone posted here with a warning about unhitching correctly, they apparently had to go to the ER because they didn't remove the tension before disengaging a chain-style WDH.  Messed up their hand.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:46pm
The video the guy made was good for an amateur. He was very careful about detaching it at the site, he was doing it in the snow! Next dumb question: I got the 8,000Lb hitch which specs a tongue max of 800Lbs. Does that mean that it will theoretically compensate for up to that weight, if someone threw some extra stuff on the tongue?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

I got the 8,000Lb hitch, which specs a tongue max of 800Lbs. Does that mean that it will theoretically compensate for up to that weight, if someone threw some extra stuff on the tongue?

Yes, but you'll still be limited by the TV specs. 8000/800 is a bit overkill for a POD, but it'll work. The ride may be a bit stiffer.

From your previous post, what is a WAF?

Charlie
Northern Colorado

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Yes, but you'll still be limited by the TV specs. 8000/800 is a bit overkill for a POD, but it'll work. The ride may be a bit stiffer.

From your previous post, what is a WAF?

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor 
P and D Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:07pm
I have a Curt receiver on my BMW X5 with sway control. Do I need to adapt it for the WDH or is WDH an add on? On our last trip we drove on several highways that the expansion joints bounced us pretty good. I have also noticed that the back of the X5 tends to sag but not enough to alter control.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by P and D Podders

I have a Curt receiver on my BMW X5 with sway control. Do I need to adapt it for the WDH or is WDH an add on? On our last trip we drove on several highways that the expansion joints bounced us pretty good. I have also noticed that the back of the X5 tends to sag but not enough to alter control.

I'm not specifically familiar with the Curt receiver, but WDHs all fit a standard 2" square receiver. The shanks and bar attachments are all part of the add on WDH. The WDH will greatly improve the bounce problem.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12