R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank fell from r-pod - Event Date: 03 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 5:15pm
Hello! My wife and I are relatively new r-podders: 2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 pulling a 2015 Hood River Edition 178. This is our second season touring parks with it, and we love it! On the road right now; just entered Zion. But 2 days ago, on the freeway between Tuscon and Phoenix, the black tank literally fell away from the lower frame supports and dragged along over the pavement. It was only held between the two wheels by the bracket that holds the waste dump connection, and the cold water pex line on the opposite side that is used to hose down the inside of the tank. 
The tank was essentially empty during travel. Let me say that it wasn't all that obvious what was happening.  The only thing that tipped me off was a very faint low harmonic noise coming from somewhere.  I first thought it was the roadway and even switched lanes since the right slower lane was much rougher. Finally I pulled over and to my dismay found the tank sitting on the ground.  It looked completely intact other than the trailing edge which had opened a seam where it had dragged on the roadway.  The two plumbing connections on the top of the tank had severed cleanly. 
So, I'm 4 months over the one year comprehensive warranty period and it looks like I'm getting an estimate from my R-pod service department for around $750 to $1000 to purchase and install a new black tank.  Forest River warranty folks look like they are not going to budge and give me a break on this one.  Bummer!  So, I have two questions for all of you out there.  First, have any of you had similar experiences with this model or another?
 The second and perhaps even more relevant question relates to this installation.  The black tank on this model, and I assume a number of others as well, is supported in place with two horizontal steel frames that span the width of the R-pod. The front, less sturdy horizontal frame, has two welded 2-3 inch brackets on each end of the frame that machine screw to the main R-pod frame.  There are 4 places for screws to go into the frame.  Mine was installed with only 2 screws and on one side it looks like only one screw was used and that sheared off most likely prior to the tank coming loose.  Does your installation have 2 screws or four on each side? 
This info might help in any further negotiations with Forest River.  I guess I can count myself fortunate that the tank hadn't completely broken loose and caused a serious accident.
Thanks for reading this and for any comments or advice you have!
cactus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 5:29pm
Good luck. I think you should consider going to top management since it sounds as though your tank was installed improperly. Hate highway 10 between Tucson and Phoenix. Tom's Camperland is in Phoenix.
Planetwister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 8:05pm
Wow! that is unacceptable. Forest River should be covering the cost. I will be sure to crawl under mine and check everything under there
GLORY TO GOD

2016 178 Hood River
2004 F150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 8:34pm
This is a known and documented problem with the tank mounting on Pods.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5036&KW=tank&PN=1&title=water-tank-beam

Poor installation. Haven't heard of instances in a while, but apparently there is still a problem lurking out there.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 12:38am
Your not the only one with that problem. I have a 179 and I had to remove the small screws on the one side of the bracket holding the tanks and shim them with 14 ga. steel. I replaced the small screws with larger screws.  I hope every owner takes the time to get under the pod and check it out. 
     Good luck with your repair.   
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 8:36am
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be checking our 179 shortly. I hope Forest River does cover this as it is evidently an engineering defect to use such a weak method to mount something. Depending on how many people have had this happen, to ignore it might be inviting a class-action lawsuit. At the very least, has it been reported to the NHTSA?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:23am
Well, the problem does not seem to be only in older models. Mine is a 2016 179.

I intend to contact Forest River to see what they say about this. Mine is still under warranty. I hope they will fix this shoddy work. I appreciate the warning to check. I also noticed significant rust spots on the frame that I will be touching up before taking it out again.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:38am
If it is still under warranty, I would bring it back to the dealership first. Complaint to them about it, they should contact Forrest River for you to see if it can be repaired under warranty. The dealership might also just fix it, to protect their reputation.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:40am
If you get FR's OK to have a dealer repair your Pod I caution you to understand the underlying problem and carefully checkout the fix. Keep in mind a full tank can weigh in excess of 250 pounds while you're bouncing down the highway. The alignment of the brackets must be corrected, all welds checked, all gaps fully filled, and larger screws installed. Many dealers will just apply the fastest, cheapest bandaid and declare victory. You'll only get one shot at a warranty fix. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:50am
If I lived near the dealer, I would be taking it there today. I have to drive about 2 hours to get there. I will be traveling quite a bit this spring and summer. I would not want to have the same thing happen while we are on the road.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>