R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew axle system for rpod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New axle system for rpod?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 10:39am
I placed an order for a 2016 model 179 and am scheduled to pick it up in the next week or so. Yesterday, I asked the owner of the dealer (Jeff Zimmerman of Country Roads RV Center) whether or not my unit included the axle riser option because I don't remember it being on the options list. I was told the following:

"They have changed the axle systems to now include the height of the old axle riser system. Totally different axle than what they used 6 months ago."

Is this true, or am I being fed horse manure?

Thanks!
taxman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 10:50am
Well, I just spoke with the Forest River service department and gave them my VIN to confirm the specs on my unit. It appears that my rpod has a new axle with a higher pitch than previous models' axles. The higher pitch is the equivalent to installing the riser kit on the older models.

The axle riser kit, although still available from FR, is not covered under warranty if installed on the new axle system because of the increased pitch.

Confirmed. Good info.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:06pm
I wanted the risers on my 2016 179 so that I could run tire chains if necessary. It came with the new axel and there seems to be enough room for chains if needed. Not that I have any intentions of ever running chains but just in case.
taxman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:32pm
Yeah, I was looking for risers (or at least the extra height) because I would like to eventually get larger tires. I have 35" tires on my truck and it would be nice to have more meat on the rpod. The rpod comes with 26" tires on 14" wheels and I'd like to get 29-30" tires on 15-16" wheels with a more aggressive tread pattern.

I hope the increased height of the new axle is sufficient to run larger tires. I don't want to install risers if it voids the warranty on the axle.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:47pm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
taxman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 2:11pm
That's a bit much. I'm looking for something similar to what comes on the HRE. Those are 29" tires on 15" wheels. That should be just fine.
JB pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 5:00pm
Hi,

We just bought our first Rpod this week-end (model 179) and it was really confusing about the axle riser. The dealer was saying there was some kind of new axle that provide a better clearance but when we look at the official options included on the unit, the axle riser was checked "X" but we could not find the riser.....

Can anyone explain was is the pitch of the axle and how the new one is better?

Thanks

JB
Rpod 179 2016
Ford F150 2007
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 5:07pm
I don't know what the pitch is or how it is better but even without the riser you have more wheel clearance.
JB pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 5:09pm
Just found this explanation on the FB Rpod page (3 nov 2015)

Seems to be from Forest River

I just want to clear up some discussion on the new r-pod axles and the risers. The Indiana r-pods have always had the axle risers as an option and the Hood River Edition had them built in the package. We monitor option usage and when it hits and maintains a high precenatge of use, we look at making it a standard item. With working with our axle company we were able to achieve the same height as the axle risers by using a different pitch axle without having to add the blocks. The new axle sits approximatly 2 1/2 higher at the beam, gaining more gorund clerance there. The rest of the height is achieved at the end of the axle with the different pitch for a total rise of approximatly 3 1/2", the same as we had with the risers. In doing this we also redesigned the fenderskirt to have a consistant clereance over the tire (no more hump in the middle) for better appreance. I think some of the cofusion here is with the newly designed fenderskirt, most are thinking it doesn't has the rise because of no large gap above the tire. I'm sure there will be more discussion here and I will keep my eye out and try to answer questions.
Thank you
Rpod 179 2016
Ford F150 2007
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

I wanted the risers on my 2016 179 so that I could run tire chains if necessary. It came with the new axel and there seems to be enough room for chains if needed. Not that I have any intentions of ever running chains but just in case.

Why would you want chains on a trailer tire?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>