Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRANNY
    Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 7:29am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Yes, seeing the turbocharger boost is interesting. When driving at normal highway speeds, and boost pressure is near zero (under 1600 rpm engine speed), but when towing, boost is always at 10-15 psi at 65mph, and up hills it ramps up to 25psi when the tranny downshifts to 7th and 6th. More boost, more fuel...

No.. MORE BOOST, MORE POWER!!!

Tongue

Yeah that too!! It's crazy to think that to increase power, just increasing air through boost and simply injecting more fuel, it will make more power, until eventual failure. Diesel won't pre-detonate like gasoline, so the power is essentially unlimited until the engine melts or explodes!! I see my EGT (exhaust gas temperature) exceed 2000°F on long pulls. Not harmful because I don't run a tune. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 3:36am
I've been watching YouTube. A lot of people use a 12v pump to charge the tranny fluid in from the fresh jug. Then the return line fills the other jug. Is that the way you do it? Or can the tranny draw and evacuate all on its own?
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 2:25pm
I change my tranny fluid every year. Easy job, I just disconnect the feeder line to the cooler and start the truck and let it pump while I fill. Takes about 10 minutes. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 8:50am
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Yes, seeing the turbocharger boost is interesting. When driving at normal highway speeds, and boost pressure is near zero (under 1600 rpm engine speed), but when towing, boost is always at 10-15 psi at 65mph, and up hills it ramps up to 25psi when the tranny downshifts to 7th and 6th. More boost, more fuel...

No.. MORE BOOST, MORE POWER!!!

Tongue

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:21am
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm
They have a boost gauge too.. that was the main reason I bought it.. for the GTi..
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:35pm
Thanks. I do have a tachometer, I'll have to add the rest.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 8:38pm
Glad you got it to work.  I found the same thing before I got to your last post and was going to let you know there was hope.  Smile  

Other things to keep an eye on while towing are misfires, transmission slip rpm, oil temperature, and oil pressure (if there isn't an accurate gauge on the dash).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:55am
Torque has a placeholder for tranny temp. It has placeholders for some other parameters that also have no data. However, I do not fault either Torque or the BAFX OBDII device. The BAFX person who replied to my inquiry on Amazon said that it would report what data was available. I would have to check with Ford to see what is up with  this.

The adapter is working great otherwise. I do not see any problems with it connecting, and there does not seem to be much if any lag in the speed of it reporting. I checked several devices and their reviews before purchasing this one. It had overall high ratings, much better than some of the other ones. I'm just glad I didn't spend $100 or more on it only to find that I could not get the one piece of data I wanted.

Edit:  It works!

It turns out that the PID in Torque was not the correct one for the transmission temperature on the Escape. Plug in the correct PID, and now I can get the temperature reading just fine. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 6:34am
 StephenH, that's really strange that the tranny temp is not a data stream on the the Ford. Usually, when there is a sensor , it can be seen by OBD and reports it so service techs can see what's going on.. You should bounce over to a Ford owners forum and see what other Escape owners have done. You may find it's been solved.

It might also be the bluetooth OBD adapter you purchased. I bought a really cheap one at first and it was wonky, connect/not connect fail transmitting. I bought a recommended adapter OBDLink LX Bluetooth for ANdroid, and I have had no problems with it using torque. It shows way more info than I need.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>