R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZAMP solar plug in jack uage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZAMP solar plug in jack uage
    Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 2:19pm
A contributor to another forum (Forest River) supplied this handy PDF file on the solar plug in for the newer PODS.
This is google drive file link as it is kinda large.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJIbU3sdD1CZDFtUUZTN1JXeFk/view?usp=sharing
Thinking about doing this!
Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Ram Hemi tow truck. Got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. It was puny and girly
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm
Zamp solar products are extremely overpriced, IMO
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:20pm
You can use whatever you want, it doesn't have to be a "Zamp" Just make sure you have all of the right components and correct plugs. If you get familiar with how solar works and what is needed, you can save hundreds. Zamp is expensive because it's plug and play, no brain power required. :-)  

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:19am
One other consideration when buying "plug and play" is that you don't get to choose who actually manufactures the panel.

As for the Zamp plug on the pod, it runs directly to the battery.  As such, you can use it for a 12 volt source to run 12 volt appliances.  You should fuse it if you do.  Frankly, I'm surprised that it isn't already fused.  It should be even if used for solar charging.
jimqbaum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by sailor323

One other consideration when buying "plug and play" is that you don't get to choose who actually manufactures the panel.

As for the Zamp plug on the pod, it runs directly to the battery.  As such, you can use it for a 12 volt source to run 12 volt appliances.  You should fuse it if you do.  Frankly, I'm surprised that it isn't already fused.  It should be even if used for solar charging.

Sounds like if a person were to research who the female plug manufacturer was one could fashion their own solar panel arrangement and save some major moola.Wink
Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:02pm

Frankly, I'm surprised that it isn't already fused.  It should be even if used for solar charging.

I've said the same thing.  Big fire risk IMO.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:09am
The plug  is one of several standard 12 volt plugs, readily available from many sources.  It is a 2 pin or 2 wire connector.  If you go that route get one rated for 10 amps.  And yes, you can save a lot over the cost of a Zamp set up.  For example, I bought 2 140 watt panels for $232 each.  Bear in mind, these panels are too large to be used as a "suitcase" unit.  Smaller panels are available--80 watt panels for about $160 each.  You also need a charge controller--$90 and up, up, up.  Also bear in mind that most charge controllers have to be mounted out of the weather but there are some on the market designed for harsh environments.  That's another advantage for the Zamp unit, the charge controller is integral to the panels.  I have posted a detailed description of my solar installation in the files section of the R-Pod owners Facebook page.
jimqbaum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:03pm

The plug  is one of several standard 12 volt plugs, readily available from many sources.  It is a 2 pin or 2 wire connector.  If you go that route get one rated for 10 amps.  And yes, you can save a lot over the cost of a Zamp set up.  For example, I bought 2 140 watt panels for $232 each.  Bear in mind, these panels are too large to be used as a "suitcase" unit.  Smaller panels are available--80 watt panels for about $160 each.  You also need a charge controller--$90 and up, up, up.  Also bear in mind that most charge controllers have to be mounted out of the weather but there are some on the market designed for harsh environments.  That's another advantage for the Zamp unit, the charge controller is integral to the panels.  I have posted a detailed description of my solar installation in the files section of the R-Pod owners Facebook page.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be looking into this for sure!

Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:16pm
The plug is an "SAE" you can find them anywhere, but to a 10g size you may have to shop on line. I'm sure you can find one or two on Ebay. 

The POD is likely lacking the inline fuse on the charge lines due to the Zamp certification. 

This is a popular setup that can be fitted for the POD pretty darn easy. I agree with the idea that its always good insurance to include an inline fuse on the power side Good luck!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
jimqbaum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:01am
Thanks for the homework!
This is all coming together now.
Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>