R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater pump for newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump for newbies
    Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:46pm
Sounds great Stephen!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 8:03pm
I'm sensitive to taste and love our well water, but I've never tasted antifreeze after flushing.  That said, we usually either bring our own water for weekends or use bottled water for longer trips, for drinking.  Only because we've had issues drinking the local water in the past.

RV antifreeze is non-toxic (unlike car antifreeze which is deadly) and its active ingredient is actually in a lot of consumer products, like cosmetics.

I've said before that not using antifreeze will eventually result in damage.  I've seen it more than once - a long discussion on why it isn't needed, then a year or two later a report of a frozen valve.  It is impossible to get all of the water out with air and it settles in the valves.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Oliveman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 4:58pm
I just bought a new R-178. I live at high elevation and there is still chances of 27 degree night thru May. If a cold night is coming, can I just keep a heater running in the trailer thru the night or do I need to Winterize for each potential?
2016 R-Pod 178
2015 Pathfinder Platinum AWD
Wife, Child and Dog on adventures
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:09am

No guarantees but, if it does not get any colder than that you'll likely be OK. It will help if the daylight hours get above freezing. I've camped into the low 20's at night and nothing terrible happened. Good luck!
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 2:17pm
Hi folks,
I thought I would add my 2 cents here ... for what it is worth.
I have been in the water works business for 45 years.  I NEVER drink or cook with water from my RV holding tank.  First of all, at any given time you really do not know the sanitary condition of your water holding tank, all of the fittings, the pump etc.  Secondly, if you filled your tank with well water, there is no chlorine in the water to prevent bacteria growth in the tank and water system.  You can get very sick, real quick, from water out of your on board water system.  Likewise, when I am at a campground, hooked onto their water system ( "city water",  which may or may not be city water ) with a hose directly connected to the trailer, I do not use this water for drinking or cooking either.  It is very possible it comes from their private well, again no chlorine for bacterial control. Again, at any given time, you can not be confident that your water hose is sterile nor the water system in your trailer. When we are talking water in your hot water system, this is very critical as bacteria grows at an accelerated rate when it is heated.  Plus water from different geographical areas can be very different from your water at home and this change can make you very sick.
Solution.... I use only bottled water to drink and cook with.  My dog, Bessie, is only given bottled water.  My coffee is made with bottled water.
Do whatever you wish, but this is my 2 cents.
Thanks
Joe, Karen and of course Bessie the bassett
jimqbaum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:29pm
Boy, I sure do have to roger the above post "Water pump for newbies"
I am a Master Plumber and have cut into a many of water pipes in my day, watched many a water main being tapped and the like. Domestic water lines are NASTY. You would be well advised to not drink the water from your RV without some sort of disinfection treatment. Even at that will you be sure you got it right? Oh, I am sure there will be some post that boast that I've never gotten ill from drinking my RV water, but why roll the dice?
At home or on the road these lips will not touch water from a domestic tap period! I don't know how I've survived before being a plumber and drink right out of the hose as we all did as kids. I suppose our systems had some sort of bio buildup against the nasty junk that's in our water. Rv water is great for flushing toilets and basic wash up, but that's it!
My dog......well......they will drink from ANY thing anytime. Our fountain at home is a constant beacon for thirsty dogs. They just love the slimy stuff.
Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Ram Hemi tow truck. Got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. It was puny and girly
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:55pm
LOL.. you are supposed to sanitize your system at least annually. We have even made videos on it. We do it anytime the trailer sits for 60 days or more. Takes about 5 minutes of interaction and 6 hours of doing other stuff.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:58pm
Well, the above posts are quite interesting to say the least.  I did sanitize my 177 in April of 2012 just to get rid of the nasty chlorine/rv anti-freeze taste, but nothing since then, and yes, my wife and I have not gotten sick.  Maybe because I was raised on well water for most of my life except for the 4 years I went to Michigan State and then for the 3 months after that when I lived in Ann Arbor, Meeeeechigan.  Other than that I have drunk well water for the rest of my 62 years of living.  We always leave home with a full tank of well water unless we are only going for a couple of days, we know how much water to bring. I guess I brag but we often will bring our sweet tasting well water for some our city friends for drinking, they just like the taste that much more. My brothers 2009 RV has never been sanitized and he only puts his well water in that, so maybe those of us who have been brought up on well water have some bugs in our system that can fight off those phantoms lurking around in the lines and or tank. I have to say after hearing Dr. Oz and his buddy Dr. Joe Mercola talk about bottled water, these lips will not drink that stuff, unless it is a matter of life or death or if I am in a third world country where I have no choice.  I have drunk bottled water in countries like Kosova, Albania, Guyana, Nicaragua, Mexico, and have survived.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm
I second the sanitizing of the RV's water system. In addition, I also have been using the Camco 40043 TastePURE water filter. With proper sanitizing and with making sure my fresh water equipment stays separate from my dump tank equipment, I feel reasonably sure that my water is safe.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 6:40pm
you guys have it all wrong.............fill that tank with Budweiser.   hogone 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider