FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Size Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Size Question
    Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:19am
Folks

First off let me say I am a newbie to both Rv's and this forum.

My wife and I are in the process of selecting the Rpod model we want and I have few questions to ask this group.

We will be camping primitive to full utilities available.

That said, our new Rpod will have AC, micro wave oven, TV options. When camping primitive and running on batteries only, I am thinking of using a generator during the day to charge batteries and maybe power the outlets for other use such as charging cell phones and powering / charging my lap top. I would not run the AC.
Currently Cabelas (i live 14 miles from the Dundee Store) has a Yamaha 2000 on sale at $200.00 off the original $999.00

Will a 2000 watt generator be sufficient enough to power the items I mentioned? My math says it will however, I know there are some here whose experience is better than my math and I would like to hear from you.

Thank You for any and all help.
Patriot Dave

Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:12am
The Yamaha or  Honda 2000 generators will run everything on your list except the AC. Both generators are 2000W starting , but 1600W running. Starting and running the AC is problematic with the 2000, depending on outside temperature, altitude, extension cord type/length and other variables. Pod owner experience varies; some successful but some not. Adding a hard start capacitor to the AC helps but is not guaranteed. Experience points to a 2400W generator being required.

For charging cell phones, iPads and computers 12V plugs and automobile chargers are preferable. Inexpensive USB chargers will handle the cell phones easily. Many Pod owners add interior 12V sockets for this purpose.

If you plan on camping off the grid be sure to upgrade the battery to two 6V GC2 golf cart batteries.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:13am
As long as you run the water heater on propane (not electric) you should have no problems.  You just have to make sure you don't have anything drawing too much when you run the microwave.  Some people claim that they can run the A/C with a 2000 watt yamaha.  That is pushing it, but it may work.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:40am
That's a great price for a Yamaha or Honda 2000. They don't often come on sale that cheaply. My Yamaha has been great. It easily ran the A/C when we had our RP 175, but the A/C was a 9000 Polar Cub--which I consider a better fit for a TT of Pod size.

My Yamaha has done flawlessly for me everything that you are asking. We haven't tried using it to run the larger A/C on our Kodiak. Fan boys will push the advantages of their Hondas or Yamahas, but there are few major differences. They are both great units. At that Price, for what you want, blue would look awful good to me.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
Welcome.  Your goal should be to run from your battery most of the time, including charging your small devices, as Charlie mentioned.  Run the generator every 2 days for an hour or so to bring the battery from 50% SOC to 80%, then every 7 days run the genset long enough to bring the battery back to 100%, which will take hours.  That will give you the most power per gallon of gas burned, not that the smaller Yamaha and Honda gensets burn that much, but you don't want to listen to run, either.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 7:52pm
Thanks Charlie for the reply.

Not sure if I understand the 6 volt vs 12 volt statement???? Must be something to do with capacity, could you explain?

Thanks
Dave & Joyce

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the info.

After reading the comments here, I have checked the internet and learned the Honda may just be a touch more powerful.

Also learned the Yamaha has a few more goodies such as fuel gauge and fuel line shut off valve.

Qualified and certified service techs and their locations also seem to be important. I have a few more Honda service dealers near by however, there is a couple Yamaha dealers not that far away. One of the Yamaha dealers I have some good experience with regarding service on a motorcycle.
Dave & Joyce

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:09pm
Yes Sir, thank You
Dave & Joyce
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:19pm
6V vs. 12V:
What I understad:
The group 24 12 Volt battery provided is usually a hybrid starting/deep cycle battery. It operates at 12 Volts, but should not be deep discharged below 50% regularly, or it will shorten the life of it. It is hard to find a true 12 Volt deep cycle battery. Capacity can be increased by changing out to a group 27 battery or wiring 2-12 Volt batteries together in Parallel (Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative). -------P             N--------
                                                                                                              |               |
                                                                                                              P             N

6 Volt batteries can be found as deep cycle batteries (AKA Golf Cart Batteries). Two of them can be wired in Series (Positive on one battery to Negative on the other battery with the trailer's positive and negative cables connected to the other terminals as appropriate.            ------------P                N-----------P               N--------------
This provides 12 Volts. Since the batteries are about the same size or larger than the 12 volt batteries, there is a larger total capacity. Since they are true deep cycle batteries, they are more able to tolerate deep discharge.

Starting batteries provide a lot of current very quickly. Deep cycle batteries do not provide the quick burst of current, but they can provide a steady current at low draw for long periods. This web site can provide more information:
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/BatterySelection.aspx

Hope this helps.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Patriot Dave

Thanks Charlie for the reply.

Not sure if I understand the 6 volt vs 12 volt statement???? Must be something to do with capacity, could you explain?

Thanks

Yes, it's about capacity. The amount of energy you can store in a battery, or you can retrieve from the battery when out camping, is related to the battery's Ampere-Hour (AH) rating. The more the merrier. A typical 12 volt Group 24 battery supplied with a camper by dealers is shown highlighted on the first line of this chart:

Column 7 on the first line shows you can draw 5 Amps for 16.4 hours from this battery before it is completely discharged.
Five Amps is a typical camper load. However, for maximum battery life you should only discharge a battery 50% so this becomes 8.2 hours.

The last line on the chart shows a Group GC2 golf cart battery from the same manufacturer. Column 7 shows the same 5 Amp load can be supplied for 54.5 hours from this battery for complete discharge. Again applying the 50% limit this battery will run your camper for 27.25 hours, 3.3 times the original battery. However, since this battery is only 6 volts you need two wired in series to get the 12V needed for the camper. Each GC2 is about the same size as the original Gp24, but there is ample room on the Pod tongue for them. The factory converter will charge and maintain the two GC2s properly when you're plugged in and they will last many times longer when you're out in the woods.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>