R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConvert Generator to run on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert Generator to run on propane
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:03am
Has anyone converted a gasoline inverter generator to run on propane?  I have a new champion 3100 watt inverter generator.  There are a few different kits to convert this to "trifuel" to run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline.  We use the generator for the pod and also plan to use it for backup power at the house in case of power failure.  I have a natural gas line in my garage that I could hook to for the backup power.  I have several griller tanks and carry an extra while camping so we would use propane for the pod.  I probably would never run it on gasoline once I do this. 

There is an "adaptation" that is simple and adds a part under the carburetor and a "conversion" that requires drilling the carburetor and I think you lose the gasoline option if you go the conversion route.  Both natural gas and propane provide less efficiency and this is my main concern.  Any experience with the Century Fuel kit or the US Carburetion kit and how much amperage you lose would be appreciated,  Love this site. Thanks      
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 11:16pm
Update:  After more research I found some favorable reviews on the Forest River site for the "motor snorkel" from US Carburetion.  This fits between the carburetor and the air cleaner and moves the air cleaner out a little...maybe a quarter inch or so.  The other brands have an insert that moves the air cleaner out 1.75 inches or so.  It looks like there isn't room for the other brands to fit inside my Champion generator case.....so motor snorkel it is.  The generator will not have quite the output on gas...loses 10% on propane and perhaps 20% on natural gas according to most people.  According to the motor snorkel folks there is zero loss...but that's what they say.  
Natural gas is still cheaper than gasoline on a dollar per watt basis.  Propane is also cheaper...excepting with the current $1.85 gas price that probably isn't true any more. 
Kit is about $180 for the unit and regulator on the generator and another $50 or so to get another regulator for the propane tank. I will get some quick connects to make it easier to change between natural gas line in my garage and a griller propane tank for use in the pod.  Will order this and install next week.  I'll post back with results for how it works.   

Leo and Tami
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
What is the energy capacity of a 20lb (now 16lb) propane tank vs a 5 gallon container of gas? Wondering how often you would have to fill/replace the propane tank vs refilling the gas container.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:53am
I'll find out.  I have four propane tanks and I know I have to refill the gasoline tank after about 8 hours. No extra fuel tank for the gasoline. I suspect a propane tank will last at least a day or two....depending on the load.  I only use it to recharge the batteries on the pod.  With the current low price of gasoline under $2.00 per gallon, it probably costs less to run it on gasoline right now.  Even if it costs a little more, the advantage I see is not carrying gasoline around in a can to use for the small amount we use it while camping.  Also, the thing barely runs right now due to the gasoline going stale and not having stabilizer in the tank.  Need to clean out the carb by getting some good gasoline in it and run it a while before I convert it.  Main reason I got the generator is to keep the freezer running in case of a power failure and I have a natural gas hookup for that use.  Lost a freezer full of meat a few years ago......    
Leo and Tami
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:35am
Stale gasoline vs natural gas seems to be the critical feature here. I follow your reasoning. Using natural gas in a blackout means you never have to find an open gas station to fill up your genset and you won't have to store and refresh gasoline.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:26am
For me the effort of conversion vs. the actual amount of use was a factor so I went with an external fuel tank to add hours of run time without refilling (up to 72 hrs on eco mode)
Additionally, by using an external tank, I can refill it without shutting down the generator. Here is what I went with:
http://www.genxdirect.com/

I never have stale fuel since I use it during the summer months in my yard equipment, or put it in my car at the end of fall.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:43pm
I always add Sta-bil which helps prevent carb issues.  I also swap out my stored fuel every 6 months.  I tried a year and had issues in my generator.

I considered the conversion kits for use on the road, but I did the math and with the power loss I could get more run time from gasoline.  It is also much easier to find a gas station than a LP refill station, especially out west.

As for relying on NG for home backup, consider that some emergencies will stop the NG supply, too.  Think the 1989 earthquake in Loma Prieta as one worst-case scenario.  I have a 500 gallon (400 actual) LP tank connected to my big generator but I also keep 20+ gallons of gasoline for my gas-powered backups (2 of them).  Bottom line, have a backup for your backup.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
Thanks for the replies.  I will post back in a week or two after I get the tri-fuel generator conversion done and test it out under load using propane, natural gas and gasoline. 

Leo and Tami
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:54am
An EMP would be another factor to think of.
That's why I keep a hold of my TR-6!Wink
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
meganjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:43pm
Hi.. Just curious how the install want and how your genny is running..

Joe
Joseph C Staples
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>