Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by AvalancheRpod

My 5.3L Avalanche (same drivestrains as a Silverado or Sierra) is rated at 15city, 21 highway. I don't see the benefit of having a 3.5L V6 with the complexity of two turbochargers (which is what ecoboost is) to get only 1 mpg more (16/22). The V8 is working far less and logically should last longer with lower maintenance bills.

We went to the Detroit Auto show in January and were surprised to see the GMC Terrain 4wd V6 rated at only 16/22 as well and thats a 3.0L!

This is what I measured an average commute, for me, last summer.  I drive some county roads and some city.  I have gotten as good as 22+ on one tankful and the lowest has been about 18.5.  I still have not had it on the highway long enough to get a good reading on that mileage...it seems I'm always towing a camper when I'm on the highway LOL.  I usually get around 12-13 when towing.  My RPMs stay around 1700-1800 in tow/haul mode.

This is the 5.3L V8 325HP, Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management, 4speed auto trans, 3.42 gears.  I can't remember what the EPA rating was, but I think I'm exceeding that. 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:06pm
    I am hitting myself in the head thinking I could of had a V8. Our Liberty with the 3.7 V6 does not get that good of gas mileage. Most of our driving is rural with a little city and a little Hwy. We average about 19.5 mpg. I do not drive fast, I excelerate slow.      David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:57pm
Don't hit yourself too hard!  LOL 

Everyone please understand that I do not intend to bash anyone's vehicle of choice.  You can pull a Pod with a 4 cyl. (I did - to the Rocky Mts. and back).  My opinions/suggestions are intended towards those who might be considering a new TV.  My hope is to have them look at the information/data, run the numbers, and come up with an answer of their choosing.   

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TIDALWAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
After towing my Pod for a year with both a Jeep Liberty (6cyl-3speed auto) and Chevy PU (8cyl-6spd auto), and reading all of the forum comments...I have come to the conclusion that just about any vehicle towing a Pod will get about 12-13 mph regardless of engine size/horsepower on the flats.  What makes the difference is the ease of handling.  With the Liberty, I can always feel the Pod when going uphill or if there are side winds.  With the much larger PU, I have to look back to even notice that I am pulling the Pod.
TIDALWAVE
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:13am
I Agree with that statement.  I have pulled our 171 with several different cars/trucks and got about the same milage.  The only time I have seen improvement was when I had kayaks on the roof in a vshape.  I plan to to more testing this summer with my truck and kayaks as we will be pulling to the same several times.
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:19pm
I pick up the 2010 Ford F150 in the morning. 11,000$ off of sticker price. 5.4 v-8 I can't wait to hook up to THE POD. Do you think I will need my wdh on this. I know I will have to readjust the settings. What do you think. I have the e-2 equalizer.Big smile
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:33pm

Sweet.  I've considered upgrading during this down time.  What was your final price?  

I would say hook it up, and drive it around for a while.  If you feel it every time you hit a bump (the usual tounge bounce onto the hitch ball), then try the WDH.  If you can't feel the 'pod back there, forget the WDH.  A secondary consideration, if you get more than an inch of sag on the rear axle then you may want to use it no matter how it feels.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:36pm
Thanks Final price 37,995 to 26,995  Love it!Big smile with 4 miles on it. I can't believe it ! I am so excited!Big smile
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:49am
Thumbs Up
I'm happy for you!  I agree with Tech...try it without it and see what you think (regarding the WDH). 

I've yet to hear of anyone getting better mileage when towing (around 12), but you'll have plenty of "umph" to go wherever you want, whenever you want.  Mountains, strong winds....who cares?!  LOL

Let us know what you think of it. 

saxack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote saxack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:33pm
Hi
I posted once before about pulling a 171 with a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door 4X4 w/ 3.8 V6. It has a class 3 hitch & a "Prodigy" brake controller. It seems everyone says it will be underpowered. I have since looked into getting a supercharger for my Jeep which will add significantly more HP & torque. I haven't bought the RPod yet, & want to order the 171 Hood River Edition SUV package. Does anyone have any advice for me? It's a much cheaper way to get around getting a different vehicle to tow the Pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>