FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:15am
My take on the matter, speaking in generalities, is that there is no ideal vehicle. If there were, we would all own one.

Capable towing verses economical everyday driving is comparing apples to oranges. They are 2 different tools, for 2 different jobs. It is like saying I want a saw that will cut wood well but, I also want it to behave like a hammer, when I need that. A vehicle that will tow reasonably well isn't going to be particularly fuel efficient. A fuel efficient vehicle isn't going tow particularly well.

A compromise usually yields something that does not excel at either goal, in this case. A number of the old timers that tow, actually have 2 vehicles:

One (economical) for everyday driving and
Another (powerful), usually a big truck, for towing (parked most of the time).

One approach would be to keep the truck for towing and hauling (only) and purchase a Prius or Civic (for example) for daily driving - if this is feasible.

In my personal situation, the math doesn't work. I don't do enough "other" driving to warrant the 2nd vehicle. It is less expensive for me to just pay the extra at the pump while driving my bigger, less fuel efficient truck.

PS-Welcome to the forum!
Rupert View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 7:38am
Help.... Have a RP-177 (3,500 pounds fully loaded) and I'm ready to upgrade from a V-6, 4.2L Chevy Trailblazer to an 8 cylinder. The Trailblazer does ok in flat Florida and I pulled the RP out of Tenn. but I'm nervous about the rpm's I pulled to maintain 50 to 55mph up 8% grades. I'm new to towing anything bigger than a pop-up trailer and am planning a two month trip across SW to California, up to Oregon or Washington then back through Colorado to the SW and home to North FL.
Any favorite V-8 vehicles?
Any other thoughts?
Moderator post just appeared and is very helpful.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 9:47pm
Any of the modern 8 cylinder full-sized trucks that are designed for towing will be fine.  One key for towing is to get the longest wheel base you can.  That gives you more stability and it is less affected by sway.  In our case we preferred an SUV since we carry people a lot, and use a utility trailer to carry the messy loads.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Rupert

Help.... Have a RP-177 (3,500 pounds fully loaded) and I'm ready to upgrade from a V-6, 4.2L Chevy Trailblazer to an 8 cylinder. The Trailblazer does ok in flat Florida and I pulled the RP out of Tenn. but I'm nervous about the rpm's I pulled to maintain 50 to 55mph up 8% grades. I'm new to towing anything bigger than a pop-up trailer and am planning a two month trip across SW to California, up to Oregon or Washington then back through Colorado to the SW and home to North FL.
Any favorite V-8 vehicles?
Any other thoughts?
Moderator post just appeared and is very helpful.

If you are a "Chevy person", I like my 5.3L V8. This is coupled to a 6speed transmission and 3.42 gears. It has handled anything that I have asked of it. I would avoid the smaller Chevy V8 (4.8L ?). It's numbers are much lower and what power it does develop is way up in the RPM range.
Rupert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:58am
Thank you. Your input is really appreciated. I'm taking notes.
Tom
Rupert the I-Pod
Rupert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 5:59pm
Thanks for help! Landed with a 2006 Suburban 1500, 3.42 rear end, 5.3L, V-8. Ready to pack the fiddle, banjo, and wifey and head West on I-10!
Fun starts in March after a short shake-down cruise!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:55am
Congrats. Only downside to that model year is the 4-speed transmission was standard until around 2009. Virtually no difference in the final ratios in 3rd and 4th, but the newer 6-speeds (and 8-speeds) go a lot deeper in 1st and 2nd which is good for heavy loads off the line. Really a nitpick for something like the pods.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12