Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreetings from a potential R-Pod'r

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from a potential R-Pod'r
    Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:47pm
Hi All, I'm on a flight to Chicago (150,000 air miles so far this year), so I thought I'd say hi. My wife and I live in Central Oregon, surrounded by so much beauty, and to counteract all of my time spent on planes and in hotels, we are looking at trailers. I also envision many great trips when I retire in 2017.

Funny, we started looking at R-Pods, then my wife got on a bigger trailer kick (she's usually frugal and simplistic) and we found a zillion trailers that looked great, but they are all "too much". Plus, my little ol' Ridgeline only pulls 5,000lbs, meaning another truck would be needed.

Well this past weekend, I brought the trailer thing up, and said I'm off the big trailer idea and want to go back to looking at R-Pods. She agreed we need to go back to smaller/simpler!

So, we're pretty set on a 183G-mostly for the "full-sized" head (I'm 6'2 and 210lbs) and the garage. It's also a good layout for us and our yellow lab, Toby. My thought was to go into our local dealer on Dec 23 or Dec 30 with checkbook in hand and see what kind of deal we can cut. Hopefully we'll be all set for some adventure come Spring. Wish us luck!
Ed Hughes
Looking for the right R-Pod
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:39am
Originally posted by ehughes3

Hi All, I'm on a flight to Chicago (150,000 air miles so far this year), so I thought I'd say hi. My wife and I live in Central Oregon, surrounded by so much beauty, and to counteract all of my time spent on planes and in hotels, we are looking at trailers. I also envision many great trips when I retire in 2017.

Funny, we started looking at R-Pods, then my wife got on a bigger trailer kick (she's usually frugal and simplistic) and we found a zillion trailers that looked great, but they are all "too much". Plus, my little ol' Ridgeline only pulls 5,000lbs, meaning another truck would be needed.

Well this past weekend, I brought the trailer thing up, and said I'm off the big trailer idea and want to go back to looking at R-Pods. She agreed we need to go back to smaller/simpler!

So, we're pretty set on a 183G-mostly for the "full-sized" head (I'm 6'2 and 210lbs) and the garage. It's also a good layout for us and our yellow lab, Toby. My thought was to go into our local dealer on Dec 23 or Dec 30 with checkbook in hand and see what kind of deal we can cut. Hopefully we'll be all set for some adventure come Spring. Wish us luck!

Good luck Ed! Happy shopping!
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:04am
Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your potential purchase.
If you have any questions or want opinions, we have a lot of very smart and experienced folks here.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:51am
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Florida View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:22am
I guarantee you will be height challenged in the little Rpod as the bed is shorter than you. It's not a residential mattress nor is the bathroom going to accommodate your size unless you plan on using the bathroom and shower facilities outside of the trailer.

Many folks your height have sold their Rpod after a few weeks with buyers remorse. Seriously spend a lot of time in the Rpod before purchasing.
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:09am
+1 ^^^ I'm just a little over 6' and I sleep on the outside of the bed in our 179 with my feet hanging off the bed just a bit. I do love the pod but it is a little challenging sleeping.

Not trying to discourage you from purchasing just providing a bit of information because you mentioned your height. Besides the R-pod is so lovable.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:36am
You might want to consider another tow vehicle. We towed our new 179 behind my sisters Honda Pilot and only got 11 mpg towing on flat lever road at sea level at 57 mph.

I was very surprised at how much the mileage was effected by the R Pod. With out the trailer at 75 mph we usually get 22-23 mpg.

That said it towed just fine.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:07pm
Welcome.  With your height you may want to consider one of the other models that has the bed + dinette, so you can sleep diagonally across one or the other.

MPG is a function of the wind resistance on the pod (and all other travel trailers).  A larger truck will help you get over the Rockies much easier (and I would recommend it for that reason) but it won't improve your mpg.  Towing our pod all over the US with our Suburban we averaged about 9.5.  With the improvement I've seen in daily driving since I swapped out the differential and transfer case fluids, I might have squeezed out 10 or 10.5 but not any more than that.  Everyone here generally gets 10-12 mpg when towing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ehughes3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:10pm
Thanks All, I do fit in the shower, and I do sleep on my side, and seemed to fit on the bed, but that is one aspect we are looking at.

I've towed a lot in the Ridgeline, and am well aware of the fuel mileage. It's going next Summer, but the main thing was to have a tow vehicle that can work for a few months.
Ed Hughes
Looking for the right R-Pod
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:03pm
I'm really curious to see what kind of mileage I get with my 2007 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab. It has the Cummings 6.7 engine in it and 4:11 gears.

When I tow my 15,000 lb. 5th wheel I average 9.5 to 10 on the flat level ground at 60 mph and about 9 going over the mountains.

Needless to say it has more than enough power.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>