Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed8000 miles - still smiling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8000 miles - still smiling
    Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 3:58pm
Just returned from a trip with our new 172 from Wisconsin to California and back.  Logged a lot of miles, went to many state and national parks, and also stayed in a few RV parks.  About half the time was boondocking.  We are not sure how long we could have gone, but 4 days at a time was not issue.  The battery was down to half after 4 days.  We did not know how to gauge how much propane was in the tank but when we had it topped off half way through the trip, it only took 2 gallons.  

We had a great trip with no major problems.  We pulled it with a 2012 Toyota Highlander.  The only real issue we had was the E2 hitch brackets kept moving and causing the bars to catch at times.  We also had some water in the back window with driving rain, but it was serious rain.  We actually left the pod in Texas so that we can resume our adventures in March and we are already planning the fall trip.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 7:52pm
Make sure to measure your battery at rest with a voltmeter and not the LED gauge, it is useless.

Easiest way to check your propane level is using the "hot water method".  Take a cup of hot water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the top shoulder.  Wait 10 seconds and then run the back of your finger down the side.  Above the fuel line it will be warm, below it will be cold.  Remember even with a full tank the top 20% will be empty.

Others have discussed adding shims to keep the E2 L brackets straight.  I had to tighten mine frequently and didn't know about the shims when I had my pod.

Edit: I originally said "the top 80%" since I was thinking "80% full", but I've changed it to "the top 20%".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 7:40am
I solved my E2 issue by making double-wide backing plates and using 4 bolts instead of 2. I haven't tested yest, but will post up results and pictures when I do.

Cheers,

Ken
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
Humberto B. Bradley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:40pm
I am waiting for the results Cosmo751. And techntrek thanks for sharing the post.
 Post Reply Post Reply