R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie question - propane tank odor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie question - propane tank odor
    Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 10:04pm
Thank you all for my swarm of newbie questions lately! 9 days until my maiden voyage with my 2011 (used) 177.

I just got my propane tank filled. It didn't have a gauge on it so I didn't know exactly how much LP was in there, so I just took it to get filled. It ended up only needing about 1.5 gallons.

On my drive home, I was smelling a little odor. The valve was closed really tightly.  When I put my nose to the nozzle, that's where I smelled it the most. I attached the tank and turned it on briefly and didn't smell the odor, but when I shut it off and then smelled the nozzle again, I could smell the LP. Is this normal? Perhaps some LP from the hose got on the tank? 

Tomorrow I'll do a leak test with the soap/water, but for now it's shut off.

My tank came with the 177, and it was recertified, and has 1 year left before I have to renew. 

Thanks for your help!
2011 R-Pod 177 aka The Pawd Pad
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 5:01am
I don't think it is unusual to get a whiff from time to time, especially during times of handling. A leak check is a good idea and keep an eye on it to make sure it's nothing persistent.  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 9:09am
BTW.. if you are unsure, just weigh it. The TARE weight of the tank is stamped on the tank itself.. everything above that is propane.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 12:56pm
When in doubt get rid of it and buy a new one. Less than 30.00. Nothing to mess around with.

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Craneman

When in doubt get rid of it and buy a new one. Less than 30.00. Nothing to mess around with.

Moe

Or go exchange it. Less then $20 here.
dogsintow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 4:37pm
thank you all for your tips and replies!
I'm going to do a leak test after work tonight, but I'm still leaning towards getting rid of this tank and starting fresh with a new one for peace of mind. I'll see how the test goes first. I did go to smell the tank this morning on my way to work, and it smelled pretty strongly around the main valve. It was pretty strong, but it wasn't in the air surrounding the tank-- and of course the gas was off when I did take a wiff of it. The odor didn't smell like rotten eggs like people say-- not distinct like sulfer. It smelled more like peanut butter to me! In any case, I smelled something!
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:33pm
I would rely on the leak test.  If it is leaking from the base of the valve where it meets the tank I would hook it up to something that will burn it up quickly (like a high-output stove) and empty the tank.  If it is leaking from inside the valve I would just leave it hooked up to your pod and use it normally until it is empty, then exchange it for a new tank.  If there is no leak it is likely you are still just smelling the odorant residue on the outside of the tank - a lot of propane is leaked out during the filling process and it takes very little odorant for you to smell it, by design.  

I learned the hard way this summer that while 90% of US suppliers use the same additive, 10% uses various other chemicals which can have a different smell than the rotten eggs you expect.  My wife bumped one of the knobs on our stove just a bit on the last day of a long trip, and it took a week at home to figure out where the smell was coming from because to us it smelled like a dead mouse.  I had filled up that tank earlier on our trip in NC and not at our usual local store.

A note on exchanges vs. refills.  You get less LP for your money at exchanges, but if you have an old or damaged tank it is the cheapest way to get a good tank.  Then go back to refilling it.  Some exchanges have some tanks that need a special tool to refill them, forcing you to exchange and not refill.  But I think that practice has been phasing out.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 8:20pm
I have used propane for well over 40 years.  Do a soap leak check.  If it doesn't show a leak, don't worry about it.  It is normal for fittings to smell of the additive they put in the gas.  Some people are more sensitive to odors than others.  Also, when you get to the bottom of the tank, the odor will become more noticeable.  A good warning that it is time to refill.
dogsintow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 8:23pm
Thank you all so much for your replies.
Soap test completely negative. I sprayed every possible point it could leak and there's nothing. :)
The odor was strong on the open/close valve and I cleaned it and the top of the tank really good to see if that helped. Sure enough, I could smell the odor on the paper towel. I will check it again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure now it was just some spillage or dirty gloves on the tank or something.
Part of me feels embarrassed for freaking out over nothing, and the rest of me knows that propane isn't to be messed with and better safe than sorry!  I'm very glad I didn't find anything leaking.
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
Just saw your response.  No reason to be embarrassed, a propane leak is nothing to take lightly.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply