R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedair conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: air conditioner
    Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 3:49pm
We're trying to figure out what size generator we will need for boondocking.  This particular adventure will be in late April in Northern NV which could mean blazing sun or sideways sleet and snow.  In the event that it is the former, how much wattage does it take to start the air conditioner and run it long enough to cool the pod down?  How much does it take to run it on low?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 4:30pm
The general consensus is the smallest genny that is sure to start and run the a/c reliably is the Yamaha 2400iSCH. The dual Honda 2000i set up is very popular. I wouldn't run an off brand my self, but people do, any inverter genny 3000watt or so should be able to handle the pods a/c.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 5:46pm
You can easily run a pod with 3500 watts in any configuration of generator.  While FurPod and others won't use anything other than a Honda inverter they can cost many times more than others and in most ways perform about the same.  Shop and choose the one you feel comfortable with.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:26pm
I agree that 2400 watts is about the minimum for using the air con.  I have a Yamaha 2400isch and I'm biased, I'm sure.  Noise level is a big reason for a Yamaha or Honda.  The electricity will be pretty much the same with others, though dependability and longevity may or may not.  If you're camping with others, noise is a big issue, at least to the others in the campground.  If you're boondocking by yourself in the middle of nowhere the noise level still might matter to you.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 4:33pm
In addition to size, consider the pros and cons of getting a cheap contractor "screamer" vs. a modern inverter-generator. Usually for camping you will want the later.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 5:11am
Yes, inverter generators don't necessarily have to maintain a consistent 3,600 rpm like contractor grade generators and, therefore, are usually much quieter. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 9:07am
Inverter generators are (at least the ones we use) also 120v native, not 240v. There can be an issue with a 240v genny when you are pulling a lot of power on one leg, and not on the other. Circuit/load balancing is pretty important for generator health.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 10:46am
Originally posted by 1tulip

We're trying to figure out what size generator we will need for boondocking.  This particular adventure will be in late April in Northern NV which could mean blazing sun or sideways sleet and snow.  In the event that it is the former, how much wattage does it take to start the air conditioner and run it long enough to cool the pod down?  How much does it take to run it on low?

Minimum size appears to be 2400 watts, 3000 is better. Running the AC on low only reduces the fan noise, but does not reduce the compressor electrical load. Running the fan on low will decrease the cooling performance, increase the cool down time, and risk a freeze up. Do not run the AC on low until cool down has been achieved, and then only at a setting less than maximum (coldest).
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply