R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much weight can the tongue carry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much weight can the tongue carry?
    Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:54am
ok, lets try this again; and not 24v but 6v!!!  tech, just clarifying your thoughts.  better to buy 2 12v deep cycle marine batteries vs 2 6v batteries as i mentioned earlier from sams (pretty much same price).  just want to get the best bang for my buck.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 7:55am
All great comments and let me refer you to one of my recent posts:

Batteries

In my mind, the bottom line of the situation is this:
How much power do you intend to use and
How often do you want to recharge (refill) your battery(s) and
How much are you willing to spend?

We can put any number of batteries on our trailers (in theory) but, if we use, say, 50 amp/hours, at some point, we have to replace those amp/hours. More batteries will yield more time between charges but, it will take more time to recharge at a given rate.

If we think of batteries of storage devices - like the gas tank on our vehicle - putting a bigger gas tank (or multiple fuel tanks)on the vehicle will only give us longer periods between fuel stops (refilling).

Most have found a "happy medium" with a battery or two, coupled with a small generator - with short recharging periods, as needed.

To get back to the original question....I don't know what the yield strength of the steel used to make the tongue is. Bends and welds would also affect this. Forest River MIGHT be able to answer but, it would surprise me if they have tested this. You may also want to confirm that the hitch assembly on your tow vehicle will handle any extra weight.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by hogone

ok, lets try this again; and not 24v but 6v!!!  tech, just clarifying your thoughts.  better to buy 2 12v deep cycle marine batteries vs 2 6v batteries as i mentioned earlier from sams (pretty much same price).  just want to get the best bang for my buck.  hogone

12v "deep cycle marine" batteries don't really exist in the real world. 12v RV/Marine are what you will find, these are hybrid batteries. For true deep cycle batteries, you go 6v deep cycle. Usually in the GC2 format.

The "best bang for the buck" is an extremely variable answer. Only you know how you are going to use your batteries, how much power you are going to use between charges, how you will recharge them, etc etc.

Most owners REALLY only need that one 12v Group 24 that came with the trailer. Owners who occasionally go off grid in nice weather may find dual 12v's will get them through no problem. Owners who who go off grid for longer periods, or have larger needs, say a HAM radio, or CPAP(s), may find dual 6v's fill their needs. The decision revolves around how much space you have on the tongue, if you are willing to mod or change that area, what your actual consumption is, and for what duration, and what your charging ability/plan is for while out.

As far as "BEST" battery for our use, the "gold standard" is dual 6v Trojan T-105's wired in series for 12v. That gets you the most storage in the available, unmodified space, and the best battery that civilians can buy and afford. (There are other battery arrays available, but you really start talking +$2000 to implement)

Our T-105's were $320 for the pair. $60 for the box. IMHO, if the math works out that dual 6v's is the right answer for me, then I want the BEST batteries I can get.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:08pm
basically what furpod said. Most campers won't get any advantage from dual batts of either voltage. They camp on weekends and a single 12 volt Walmart batt is the best way to go. If you will occasionally camp offgrid for a week at a time then two of the Walmart batts is again the way to go. But if you often go for a week or more then look at the more expensive brand name deep cycle 6 volt batts.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:25am
looked at wally website.  exactly which ones you referring to tech?  just dont want to go wrong here.  just kind of green on the battery thing!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:31am
Everstart Marine series - 27, 29 and 31 groups.  They are a hybrid start/deep cycle battery but just fine for the weekend warrior.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:47am
Explosive is right.  In all my years of driving, I have had just one battery explode, and it was totally unpredictable.  All I did was start the car and there was a loud bang and a BIG mess (sulfuric acid, not hydrochloric acid).  It took a lot of bicarbonate and water before the foaming stopped.  Flooding an engine compartment is a lot easier than flooding and scouring the inside of a Pod. 

Early VW beetles put batteries under a back seat and they tended to get forgotten by some.  And there were often corrosion problems when the batteries were ignored. 

Placing batteries under the seating may isolate or remove them from the spark source, but there is still some risk.  Outside is a much better location. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:42pm
Batteries + Bulbs (AKA Batteries Plus) has Duracell 6V GC2 batteries (Part  SLIGC110) for $89 each. If you are retired military, they offer a 10% discount. Since I did not have any old batteries to turn in, I also got hit with an $18 (each) core charge. Add to that a cable to connect the two and a battery lifter (part # DK00551), which is definitely needed to maneuver these batteries, and the total, even when adding in two boxes ordered from Amazon, was much less than the dealer wanted for an upgrade from the single 12V battery. He said the credit from that would cover the installation of the 6V batteries, unless extra parts were needed or unless they did not fit the battery brackets. I don't anticipate that happening.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12