R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much weight can the tongue carry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much weight can the tongue carry?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:17am
The bar that connects the pod to the tow hitch? The reason I ask is dear hubby is planning a battery system for power when camping at rustic sites. We are trying to determine best place for four batteries to reside.... Thanks much!
Chris & Marianne
2014 rPod 178
2014 Ford F250
Tandem bike for off pod explorations!
CoPilot Jake, our chocolate lab!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:02am
I think physical space may be more limiting than weight. With my 172 I had two 6V golf cart batteries, two propane tanks and the spare tire on the tongue plus a WDH with no observed problems. With 4 batteries I assume they will be GC2 golfers, but they take space if you adequately support and secure them. Consider the options of heavy duty jumper cables recharging from your TV or carrying two extra batteries in your TV and swapping. All easier than a generator and gas is you don't need the air conditioner.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:04pm
i think it was you charlie that recently mentioned 6v golf batteries from sams for $85-$90 a piece.  i just looked them up, are these good enough quality/just as good as the rest?  just curious.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by hogone

i think it was you charlie that recently mentioned 6v golf batteries from sams for $85-$90 a piece.  i just looked them up, are these good enough quality/just as good as the rest?  just curious.  hogone

I can't say yea or nay on Sam's quality. Trojan T105s are the gold standard so it becomes a trade off between unknown quality or fewer bucks and known quality for more bucks. One thought is to check at your local golf course. They have an interest in quality vs cost.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Peacebird View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 4:42pm
Is it possible or reasonable to put the batteries in the storage space under the dinette seats? Can the floor of the stoage area hold the weight? (When they are being charged obviously we need to have a fan blowing the air from the storage area to the outside world due to outgassing)
Chris & Marianne
2014 rPod 178
2014 Ford F250
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 5:30pm
It is possible, but not using a traditional lead/acid battery. The best and newest AGM batteries internally recombine the charging gasses back with the electrolyte. Cruising sailors will sometimes create large battery banks by using multiple AGM batteries in the bilge space inside the boat. I 've never done it myself, but I know some who have. For me, pulling up the bilge boards and seeing all those batteries wired together just inches under your feet was a little unsettling. The upside is they can last 10 years if you take care of them, they won't leak acid, and they charge really fast.

But they have a downside too. They're expensive. They won't like the pod's charger. If you repeatedly discharge them more than about 75% or so you really shorten their life.

Poke around on solar power, prepper, or cruising boat sites and you'll pick up all kinds of info.

IMHO, unless you're doing some serious boondocking, most people should stick with the traditional flooded batteries and keep them outside on the tongue. If you want more amp hours then follow the advice of many on this forum by using 2 12V batteries in parallel, or for even more amp hours,  2 6 volt batteries in series. But keep them outside the pod.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 6:12pm
 There are also some VERY expensive LiFEPO4 battery options out there.  Huge AH capacities and very long life, they can be discharged fully without harm, and can hold nearly their full charge for a year without topping off.  But they cost $XXXX dollars.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Peacebird View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:50pm
Is the concern about having a lead acid battery in the storage compartment just about the out gassing when it charges?
Chris & Marianne
2014 rPod 178
2014 Ford F250
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:54pm
Best amps per $ is the Wal-Mart marine deep cycle (more of a hybrid).  You need to do some serious camping - like full-time - to justify the cost of the more expensive batts.  Also hard to justify going with 4 batts when that money can go towards a solar system, if you will usually camp where the PV panels won't have any shade, or towards a small generator like the Honda EU1000 for battery charging.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Peacebird

Is the concern about having a lead acid battery in the storage compartment just about the out gassing when it charges?

Explosive and corrosive gases, even when it isn't charging because it will off-gas for some time after the charging stops.  Hydrochloric acid will corrode everything and you don't want to breathe it.  Hydrogen gas is explosive.  Never ever install a flooded lead-acid inside unless you are sure you can seal it up and vent it properly.  Much better to just go with the AGM, as mentioned.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>