Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmy little home 2012 176 - Event Date: 27 Oct 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: my little home 2012 176
    Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:11pm
Star  hi, i'm brodysmom56 and brody is my handsome corgi travelling buddy. we got our rpod 2 years ago and have been dragging it all over the place as i am retired and always looking for adventure, from weekend trips with friends to weeks on the road exploring the west. we live in montana so the winter is the time for us to get out and see stuff. last year we did a trip to the grand staircase escalante in utah and probably took the trailer on roads that in hindsight, were more suited for jeeps than trailers. i've become a pro at turning around in tight places.....not that i wanted to be. we also did a trip in march to death valley and then toured a lot of nevada. i did not see any extraterrestrials on the extraterrestrial highway. rats.

in about a week we will be taking off for a giant loop trip through southern utah, new mexico, arizona, and then back home. i love this trailer. it's like my favorite little home and if i'm not out camping in it, i tend to take a good book and just go read there. i've already learned a lot about the trailer from reading stuff in this forum and appreciate any advice or help.

i tow my trailer with a red 2013 nissan frontier, 6 cyl. i think we look pretty adorable. happy and safe travels everyone!!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 5:50pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CampingGma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 9:26pm
Hi Brodysmom! I just picked up my R-Pod 172 today. I'm a widow and my husband and I had a fifth wheel and 2 trailers over the years. I sold our trailer when he died and now I miss it so much. Unfortunately, I didn't ever back the trailer when my husband was alive and now I'm having great difficulty learning to back into spaces! Any tips for me? I wish I were retired but I'm not yet, so it's mostly weekend trips for me and then a couple big trips a year. I will be traveling with two Yorkies to keep me company. Don't know what I'd do without them! 
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:36am
Welcome!!! My wife and I attend the yearly motorcycle event called Wing Ding. The September 2016 event takes place in Billings, we are looking forward to visiting your state as we have never been to Montana. We will not be bringing the pod, we'll be bringing the bike to tour your beautiful state.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
DebbieHM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by CampingGma

Hi Brodysmom! I just picked up my R-Pod 172 today. I'm a widow and my husband and I had a fifth wheel and 2 trailers over the years. I sold our trailer when he died and now I miss it so much. Unfortunately, I didn't ever back the trailer when my husband was alive and now I'm having great difficulty learning to back into spaces! Any tips for me? I wish I were retired but I'm not yet, so it's mostly weekend trips for me and then a couple big trips a year. I will be traveling with two Yorkies to keep me company. Don't know what I'd do without them! 

CampingGma,  Welcome!  I also travel solo occasionally.  I'm not a good backer upper either, but there is always a good soul nearby who will do it for me after watching me struggle for a while.  I practice in the driveway.  I imagine the neighbors laughing behind their blinds.  Love the pod too much to worry about that!
I am currently unsupervised....the possibilities are endless!
brodysmom56 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 1:10pm
mike and erin-motorcycles are almost as common as rv's in the summer here. most on the way to sturgis but you'll be able to see a lot of cool things around billings. the bighorn battlefield is fairly close and pompei's pillar. red lodge to the south is a fun little town. enjoy and watch for deer........they are really dumb in the early evenings and mornings, especially white tails. safe travels and next time bring the pod! lots of good places to camp along the yellowstone river!!!
brodysmom56 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 1:24pm
campinggma! hey i'm a grandma too!! yay for us! my 3 year old granddaughter likes to play hide and seek in my rpod. there are like 2 places to hide......but we have fun.

backing up is one of those things that gets better with practice. the 5th wheel is actually easier to do than the pod. i had to back up a gooseneck 6 horse trailer in my job so i got some practice. the pod is a bit more touchy and less forgiving. just give yourself lots of room to pull forward and start again. take deep breaths, take it slow and you'll be fine. i think backing up is so counter intuitive that i almost always have to pull forward and try again. i tend to overthink. if you get frustrated, just stop for a few breaths. once you get a good line, take it slow and make little adjustments. it'll go right where you want and you'll feel amazing.

if you get out west, let me know! yorkies are adorable and i don't know how anyone travels without our furry friends. they make everything in life better!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:12pm
Thank you for the reassurance. I expect there will be many kind souls who will have to bail me out! But I'm looking forward to the camping, just wish I could get over the anxiety of backing. I guess it will get better in time! 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:13pm
I see you are in Montana. I've visited there, but just briefly and would love a trip to Montana! 
 Post Reply Post Reply