Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Mission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Mission
    Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:39pm
In its 3rd full season, we found a new mission for our rPod. It has become increasingly difficult to reserve campsites in our favorite parks; so, I jumped on an opportunity to buy a 2-acre lake lot in Northern Wisconsin last Fall, and that’s where our camper spent most of its time this year. We have the RP-173 model, which was discontinued after 2012, the year we bought ours new at about the end of the season. It has a nice U-shaped dinette at one end, and a sofa at the other, with no actual permanent bed. To remedy that, we semi-permanently opened the sofa into its lumpy bed state, put a thick and long foam piece in the space between the back of the sofa and the wall, and then placed a 2”-thick full-size memory foam mattress over the whole thing. That makes a reasonably comfortable bed, but things are a bit snug.

This Spring, I had a 10’x16’ barn-style lofted shed built and placed on the lot, then partitioned off a porta-potti room to make it into a bunkhouse. So, we use the bunkhouse for sleeping, and the rPod for storing refrigerated and frozen food, cooking, cleaning dishes, showering, and indoor eating. That allows us to leave the sofa back in its upright position, which makes the whole camper feel a little more spacious.

The lot has no electricity, drinking water, or septic; and that’s where the easy towing and large tanks of the rPod come in handy. When the tanks need re-filling and dumping, I simply tow it to a nearby campground dump station. Unfortunately, that makes the rDome impractical, due to the time it takes to take down and setup. So, I bought a large EZ (for you to say) canopy with two fold-up side panels. That allows me to raise one panel to its highest position over the door side of the rPod. Then, I can just pull the rPod out from under, and pull it back under again after dumping and re-filling the tanks.

Of course, now the rPod is winterized, and we have that long, sad wait until we can team it up with our bunkhouse again next year.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 9:21am
Nice.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 10:34am
Wisconsin, and I assume the rest of the upper mid-west, had a record year for camping this year.  I heard the numbers yesterday and I can't recall what they were but it was above 300,000 nights in the state campgrounds.

That is great, but it makes it hard to find a campsite.  I like your idea of having your own. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 11:34am
The year 2015 has already made its way into my personal record book as the standard bearer for good Upper Midwest weather. The Spring, Summer, and early Fall have been terrific. Even the farmers aren't complaining! No wonder the campers have been out in great numbers.

Any of us who have lived up here for a number of years feel completely entitled.

I love having our own campsite. By park and commercial campground standards, it's huge. The lot is not on the lake, but has a nice view of it and deeded access that's easy walking distance away. We primarily use the lake for canoeing, kayaking, and getting the dogs wet.

I love the location - about midway between Cumberland and Shell Lake, near a nifty little town called Barronett.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 1:45pm
What a great idea. We are actually looking to do the same thing but in the utah high country.

looks great you guys!!
Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by sammycamper

The year 2015 has already made its way into my personal record book as the standard bearer for good Upper Midwest weather. The Spring, Summer, and early Fall have been terrific. Even the farmers aren't complaining! No wonder the campers have been out in great numbers.

Any of us who have lived up here for a number of years feel completely entitled.

I love having our own campsite. By park and commercial campground standards, it's huge. The lot is not on the lake, but has a nice view of it and deeded access that's easy walking distance away. We primarily use the lake for canoeing, kayaking, and getting the dogs wet.

I love the location - about midway between Cumberland and Shell Lake, near a nifty little town called Barronett.

It's been a good year for camping but I have to contest that "Northern Wisconsin" description a little. Smile
It would take me at least 2 1/2 hours on my snowmobile to get that far south via a rail trail.  Wink

We are about 80 north of your campsite by Pod Road. 
A little trivia to test everyone's  historical knowledge.
I grew up with the nephews and nieces of Richard "Dick" Bong, Army Air Corp/ US Air Force "Ace of Aces".

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by SNO4ME

It's been a good year for camping but I have to contest that "Northern Wisconsin" description a little. Smile
It would take me at least 2 1/2 hours on my snowmobile to get that far south via a rail trail.  Wink

We plan to make a true north jaunt this weekend. After work tomorrow, we'll head 3 hours NORTH to our campsite and spend a chilly night in the bunkhouse. Then travel another 2-1/2 hours NORTH to spend Halloween in Bayfield. That may be closer to your place. Wonder if there's any action at Tom's Burned Down Cafe on Madeline Island this late in the Fall. 
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:09am
Originally posted by sammycamper

Originally posted by SNO4ME

We plan to make a true north jaunt this weekend. After work tomorrow, we'll head 3 hours NORTH to our campsite and spend a chilly night in the bunkhouse. Then travel another 2-1/2 hours NORTH to spend Halloween in Bayfield. That may be closer to your place. Wonder if there's any action at Tom's Burned Down Cafe on Madeline Island this late in the Fall. 

Yup, that's getting up north. You still won't be as far north as the northern most Post Office in Wis but you'll be close!  Smile
Have a great trip!
We are west of Bayfield, 20 miles east of Superior. Haven't been to Madeline Island for some time. We have camped at the Town of Russel Campground. (West of Bayfield by the Apostle Island Lake Shore Visitors Center)
More trivia: I grew up with the nephews and nieces of Richard "Dick" Bong, "Ace of Aces"  
That's a dead giveaway.  Wink

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 12:40am
Winterizing our camper is about the saddest annual task that I undertake. This year, it's even worse than usual. I missed my chances to store our rPod inside. So, I towed it out to our campsite, wrapped it in it's brand new jacket, and snugged it down as tight as I could to spend the whole Winter outdoors. Poor thing.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 4:24pm
Looks like your neighbor does the same thing - camper with an out-building?

You might consider some anti-theft precautions. Maybe take the spare and 1 wheel, leaving it on jack stands on the 1 side. Wrap heavy chain around the axle and weave it through the remaining wheel, using a heavy lock.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>