R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLEDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LEDs
    Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 10:36am
When I picked up my POD and was going through the demo/pre-inspection, I had suspicion about the quality of the LED lighting switches. They seemed kind of flimsy, I was correct as one has failed. My question now is there a mod or better yet how do I take to cover off the light to attempt a repair?

I haven't had a chance to play with it since it failed due to the huge amount of rain we are getting here in Central Texas, which by the way is a really good thing.(4.39 inches since midnight) We are still expected to get more rain from the remnants of Patricia so it'll probably be next week before I'm brave enough to make my way to the POD deep in the backyard. This is definitely a good test to see if there are any leaks. It's been a strong blowing rain since early this morning.

Anyway, thanks in advance for information on how to take the light covers off.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 10:47am
The clear plastic lens covers are held with a tabs/slots arrangements.  A gentle squeeze of the lens (on the long sides) will pop it off.  The lens on the exterior light is held on in a similar manner, but its much firmer - same process with a little more muscle (inserting a flat headed screwdriver into the gap may help).

But, with a 2016 r-pod, you should be talking to your dealer about a warranty replacement.  This is exactly what the r-pod's warranty is for - don't pay for the repairs yourself.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 11:55am
Thanks for the information. I do like to tinker though, if I can't repair the switch then I'll surely request one from the dealer.

Thanks a lot.
Mike & Erin
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 12:29pm
By the way you mentioned squeeze on the long side, if I recall these are round lights, there is no long side. But later today if I brave the rain I may run down to the POD and give it a shot. There is nothing better to do in all this bad weather.

Thanks a bunch!!
Mike & Erin
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 2:47pm
I replaced the work light on the front of my camper soon after I bought it, and it immediately had problems.  I realized that water was being forced in around the lens while on the road, which then drained out via the switch.  I caulked all around the edge of the lens and put a good shot of WD-40 into the switch and it has been fine since.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gobobro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:34am
The new LEDs are a bit temperamental, but the good news is you probably haven't broken anything. The better news is that it's an easy fix.

The round LED covers just need a quarter turn, counter clockwise, twist to come off. From there, you just need to re-align the rubber "finger" with the LED button on the base, and twist it back on.

It's a little flimsy, but at least it's a 10 second fix that doesn't require tools.

The base with the LEDs has a button. The cover has a rubber "finger" that sits on top of the base button. If you press the cover button at an angle, the cover "finger" can slide off the base button and make it impossible to switch on or off.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 12:08pm
Thanks Gobobro, I do appreciate the heads up. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to get it done.
Mike & Erin
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 4:25pm
The case and switch must be different than what the older outside pods had (like the orange light in my sig pic).  The work light on the front of my Salem is identical, just with a white lens.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 7:17pm
I went down today to attempt a repair of the LEDs in the Pod. It did go smoothly thanks to the folks on this forum. Here are a couple of photos during the repair process. There is no doubt due to the design of this light, others will probably experience this issue. Again, thanks Gobobro for the information.

Mike & Erin
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
 Post Reply Post Reply