R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlight weight generator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: light weight generator?
    Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:46am
We generally dry camp and like to be out in the wilderness without hook ups. We are also getting a bit long in the tooth with bad backs, knees, shoulders.... Does anyone have a recommendation for a light weight generator that can be used to charge the batteries (we have 2 on our 177) when we are on a long trip? We also camp in the shade and along the foggy coast as much as possible, so aren't sure how solar would work for us. Thanks for any suggestions!
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:44am
I have the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator which I purchased at Camping World (on sale) for $499. It's specifications are similar to the Honda but, quite a bit less money. It will run everything except the air conditioner. If memory serves, it weighs about 50lbs. I have been pleased with it.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:11pm
If charging your batteries is your only requirement, and if the budget allows, a Honda EU1000i would be my recommendation.  Extremely quiet and extraordinarily reliable.  And it'll weigh just over 30 pounds with gas in it.

If the budget isn't there, then - if you can find one - the Hyundai HY1000si would be my recommendation.  I had one of these for years when we had a tent trailer and was very happy with it; my ex and I did a great deal of dry camping and used it almost exclusively to recharge the battery.  It was quiet, light (around 30 pounds), and fairly compact and very reliable.  Just remember to change the oil (put in synthetic after its broken-in) and the sparkplug at the beginning of every spring and it'll purr contentedly all camping season.

But, remember, neither of these would power the air conditioner or oven/microwave.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:48pm
+1 to the recommendations above.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by David

I have the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator which I purchased at Camping World (on sale) for $499. It's specifications are similar to the Honda but, quite a bit less money. It will run everything except the air conditioner. If memory serves, it weighs about 50lbs. I have been pleased with it.

Early this Fall we bought a Champion 2000 too.  Now I'm spoiled by the "everything but the air".  Smile
Maybe someday we will get another to run the air conditioner but how many places can you run a generator all night anyway.

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:06am
I also recommend the Honda EU1000i. If all you want is charging the batteries in remote locations, it's light and reliable. All you would get out of a 2000 watt generator is the Microwave and possibly the A/C (if you shut all the other breakers off).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:35am
I have the Ryobi RYI 2200 Inverter bought at Home Depot for $549. You can run some minor appliances and charge the batteries too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFCh27h4Tg

I might also recommend the the Yamaha EF1000is if solely charging batteries and the budget is right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ff7ez5kP0

So far so good with the Ryobi, not too noisy or heavy
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 12:19pm
If all you need is to charge the batteries, why don't you just hook up jumper cables to your tow vehicle.  Let the tow vehicle idle for an hour or so and your batteries are charged.  Cost is way less than buying a generator.  You can buy a really good set of jumper cables for $40 or $50.  A lot lighter too!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 2:45pm
SNO4ME - in our case we stay at truck stops, Wal-Marts, etc. multiple times a year and we will run the genset all night there.

jstrenn - that is a good option for a trip or two a year, not sure I would want to do that all the time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 6:46pm
My EUHonda 2000 generator/inverter runs my ac just fine in my 172 pod.  It will run the ac,  all of the lights,  the bathroom fan, all at the same time.  However, when you run the microwave, you have to turn the ac off, or if you run anything with a heavy electrical draw, you have to turn the ac off.  I have read on several posts on here that the Honda 2000 will not run the ac, but it will run my ac with all of the other items that I listed above.  I think is weighs 47 pounds.  
 Post Reply Post Reply