R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDehumidifier?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dehumidifier?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 12:35pm
Two people and two dogs definitely generate a good deal of humidity.  But, I'd likely not worry about bringing along (and trying to find somewhere to setup) a dehumidifier while camping.  As teckntrek suggested, cracking a window or two along with the roof vent is likely the best way to go.

That said (and contrary to my own advice), I do have a small peltier dehumidifier (like this one on Amazon) that I bring along for late fall camping when humidity tends to build up and the windows really sweat.  Its small and does a fairly good job of drying out the air. 
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:35pm
I wouldn't worry about it.  It is very humid where I live and I've never had a problem with mold in any camper.  Leave a window cracked open and the vent cracked open any time the A/C isn't on including in the winter.  A human loses a liter of water a day which will make it very humid inside unless you leave things open a bit since the pods are well-sealed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:11pm
I, too, live up here in the PNW in the coastal community of Open Sores (Ocean Shores). This is a darn dank area. I've used a Dry Wave R/V air dryer in each of my trailers over the years. It's done a good job of controlling the moisture and musty smell when the trailers were not in use. I think the Dry Wave is available on Amazon.

Also about your other post. I always left my previous RP 175 and our Kodiak replacement plugged into an extension cord from the house whenever at home. Both trailers have the same model converter and each a garden variety Interstate group 24 RV battery. In the last 6 years I've never had to replace a battery, and I've only had to add water twice. We have used both trailers a ton, including a considerable amount of dry camping.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:34pm
During the winter I put our house dehumidifier in our 177 and let it run for an hour. It's such a small space it doesn't take very long to make sure its very dry
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
dogsintow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 6:45pm
The dealership where I got my used 177 recommended I get a dehumidifier. Do any of you have size recommendations? Most of the time I'll be on hookups so I will be able to power it.  My Rpod will have myself and 2 dogs, the largest is 40lbs. I'm also in the PNW where water on shoes, paws and fur won't be uncommon.

Thank you!

2011 R-Pod 177 aka The Pawd Pad
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply