Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo Excited About my New Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Excited About my New Rpod
    Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:12am
I bought a new 2016 R-pod 179 this week, and I couldn't be happier. I have a place to park it in my driveway, at least for the time being.(I'm in Dallas so the weather won't be too extreme to keep it outside.) With the help of some RV savvy neighbors, I backed it up in my driveway and into the back of my house. When I first bought it I parked it on the street in front of my house. Then a day later I got up the guts to back it into my driveway to sit in front of my house. That took an hour! Then a couple of days later, I got up the courage (and had the time) to back it down my driveway to sit in front of my detached garage in back of my house. My driveway is only 8' wide, but there's some grass on one side that gives me about 12' to maneuver. Before I bought the R-pod I trimmed the trees that overhang the drive to a height of 10'. That was perfect to clear the R-pod. The width was a bit tricky because there's a tree close to one side at the front of the house and a tree close to the other side near the back of the house. With a couple of close encounters with my neighbor's house and an air conditioner, I finally got it situated enough to be able to set it up, and get my car in beside it.

I still don't have a name for my R-pod. I'm an architect, and friends have suggested archi-pod, but I'm close to retirement and I don't want to be reminded of work when I'm camping. I'm a girl, and I've thought of girl-pod, too. She's definitely a girl, but she's got swagger too. I've heard there's a list of names somewhere out there that people have named their R-pods. Does anyone know where I can find that?

It's been fun getting her fitted out with dishes, towels, sheets and bedding. She's starting to take on a personality of her own now that she's getting her make-up on!   I'll be traveling with my 92 year old dad.   He toted us around in campers as kids, and he's looking forward to pay back time with me doing the toting. I just hope he doesn't need as many bathroom breaks as I did as a kid!

2016 R pod 179
2011 Volvo XC 60
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:33am
Great introduction!  Welcome.  You'll have many wonderful adventures and great memories, I'm sure!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:40am
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:15pm
I don't know what you use to tow with but one of the things I am doing is installing a receiver hitch on the front of my pickup. Makes it much easier to get into tight spots and also lets me carry either the spare or our bikes on the front of the truck.
Tammy C. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:44pm
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm towing with a car - Volvo, not a truck, at least right now. I may end up getting a truck.
2016 R pod 179
2011 Volvo XC 60
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 1:14pm
I had a front hitch on my Durango you might want to check and see if anyone makes a front hitch for your Volvo.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:19pm
Welcome.  It just takes practice.  Some day you'll realize you aren't even thinking about it.

Here is a way that works for some.  Put one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel.  Then move your hand in the direction you want the pod to go.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Dave Gilmour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:42pm
We have a Volvo XC 70 with a tow package, and are considering an RPod. Do feel that your Volvo is adequate for the task". Dave Gilmour, Central point Oregon
Dave Gilmour
Dave Gilmour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:43pm
We have a Volvo XC 70 with a tow package, and are considering an RPod. Do feel that your Volvo is adequate for the task". Dave Gilmour, Central point Oregon
Dave Gilmour
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:52pm
Backing up just takes practice. My wife is a girl like you and she's better than me. I'm much better at hand signals and staying in mirror sight though! That's a good job for your Dad!

Welcome.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>