R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing - Event Date: 26 Sep 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Winterizing
    Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:05pm
I have looked at the pink video and read everything I can on the site.  One more try to see if anyone knows anything different about where the antifreeze goes in.  I have a 2014 177 and have looked under the bed and under the sink.  I have emptied everything out and don't want to pay the $115 to get it done at the dealer.  Thanks.

Alaska Girl
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:22pm
I just winterized my 2013 hood river 177 an hour ago.  On mine, it's under the bed, attached to the line that comes from the main h20 tank in the upper front water heater area.  There are also three valves there that you turn  to winterize.  There is a good description of that process here elsewhere on the forum.  It all is right in front of you as you lift the mattress on my 177.  Maybe they changed in 2014, but I doubt it.  There is a quick connect on the main water supply line there by one of the shut off valves.  You must remove/disconnect from the main supply line and install a suction fitting and short suction line.  Mine has a little blue tab you move to the left about a half inch, and then pull out and remove that part and install your suction part.  Easy.  You need to know what brand of pump you have to get the right fitting, then you order a quick connect with a couple feet of suction line that goes into the rv antifreeze bottle.  This being the second year, with a helper, I did my system in less than 10 minutes.  Advise you call Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, Id. to order your part, they told me how to do all this, and then sent me the proper parts once I told them my pump model.   It's easy with the right info and materials, but Forest River sure isn't giving away the info.  You have to dig a bit.   Drain everything before you start this of course.  Good luck.
AKGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:53pm
Thanks Codycountry.  I have a good friend who just moved there.  I will look.  The dealer here said I could probably get the part I needed at 6 Robles but will get the pump type before I go.  I have the mattress up and have emptied everything .  I thought I read everything.  Is the quick connect hooked on with an allegator clip?  or how does it come off?  I will go look and come back.

Alaska Girl
AKGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 9:11pm
I Can't seem to find anything that looks like it will disconnect.  I see blue and red tubes.  I took some pictures but I can't find a model # or anything on the Pump.  Thanks anyway. 

Peg
Alaska Girl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:58pm
You should find the pickup hose next to the water pump - between where the water line comes up through the floor and the pump.  There was a model year or two when FR dropped the permanent winterization kit and you had to get your own, that may be true for yours.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
AKGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:50pm
Thanks. I think you may be right because I don't see any additional hose. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow and letting them finish the process and show me
Alaska Girl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 10:45pm
Two options - crawl underneath and disconnect the line from the fresh water tank, or disconnect the line from the intake side of the water pump and attach your own 3-foot hose.
AKGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 11:05pm
I'll definitely let you know what I find out tomorrow.
Alaska Girl
AKGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 9:38pm
I finally got it winterized and put away.  Went to the maintenance shop at the dealer and he gave me a hose with a screw on at one end.  He told me which tube to take off and went over the directions again.  It worked fine except I had to keep opening up the faucets because the pressure would build up and I thought all the antifreeze went in at once.

He did tell me one thing that was not on the list.  He said to leave the plug out of the water tank and just set it on the shelf inside the cover.  Not sure why.  He also said the last thing I should do is open up the low level drains outside one last time to drain more water out.

Alaska Girl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:24pm
If you mean the anode rod in the water heater, you should leave that in to prevent rust on the threads.  It can't hurt to open the low point drains again but I doubt you'll see any water.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>