R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Time Out Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Out Questions
    Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 12:43pm
I bought my 2010 171 about two weeks back. I have been watching videos on Youtube and I'm off this weekend for my first use. I feel quite inadequate at this point so please help if possible. The campground has 30 amp, sewer, water and cable. I can hook up the cable and electric okay and I'm guessing the water once hooked up just needs to have the faucet bleed air out and I'm guessing it also fills the hot water tank.
Sewer is my big area to learn about. I think I connect the sewer hose and open the grey water handle. If I use the toilet over the weekend and put little into the tank, I still need to empty it because the camping season is ending soon. So how do I get rid of the little that is in the black tank? Do I run a hose into the toilet? Do I fill the grey tank intentionally and empty it after the black? I really draw a blank with this and any help is appreciated. I'd like to give this a full run on all systems to see that everything works and I know what to do.
Thanks in advance!!!
Paul & Judy Rask
2010 R-Pod 171
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 1:26pm
Emptying the gray and black tanks was my biggest fear when we first bought our R-pod.  After a couple of decades of camping in popups, I had never done this before.  There are lots of websites and even YouTube videos with detailed instructions on how to do this.  Just note that most RVs have only one valve which empties both the black and gray tanks, as opposed the R-pod, which has two valves.  Otherwise, follow their directions.  Easy-peasy.  But here are some tips:

You always want to empty the black tank as soon as possible when you're done camping at a spot (or perhaps even while you're camping, if you're going to be there for an extended period), whether it's the end of the camping season or not.  You don't want that stuff sitting in there very long!

If you're not going to be there long enough to fill your gray water tank, I'd leave the valve shut and not hook up the hose at all.  Then, when you're ready to leave, empty the black tank first.  Since you'll be hooked up to water, hold the flusher open on your toilet for a long time to get as much water into your black water tank as you can.  This will help to get out all the TP and assorted crud.  Then hook up the sewer hose, open the valve, and let 'er rip.

My 2014 has a black tank flush located on the other side of the Pod.  If yours does too, then you'll want to hook up a hose (not your potable water hose, but a hose dedicated for this purpose only) and let it run for several minutes after you have emptied the black tank.  I have a clear elbow that attaches to the end of the sewer hose.  I run the black tank flush until I see the water coming out is absolutely clear, and then let it go another couple of minutes.

Then empty the gray tank.  Most people do that after the black tank in order to rinse out your sewer hose before stowing it away. 

I have disposable gloves that I put on when emptying the tanks, although I've not had any nasty spills yet. 

One more quick tip:  You say you're good to go on hooking up for fresh water, but just make sure you have a brass pressure regulator on your hose, or you may end up blowing out a hose inside your camper if the campground has excessive water pressure.

2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 1:36pm
  We owned a 2009 171 and I at times used a bucket of water and filled the toilet up to the top rim and then flushed and repeated the same a few times and it helps if possible to rock camper back and forth pushing on the side of the camper. "Going for broke" recently posted a video on hooking up their r-pod 171 that may help you some. Sounds like you are not far from being adequate. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

The Raskal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 1:53pm
Wow, you are all so helpful and so quick with the answers. I didn't get a manual with this trailer and I did see the video on hooking everything up. The same person should of had one on closing up to leave the campground. I'll get a brass pressure regulator. Thanks!!!!
Paul & Judy Rask
2010 R-Pod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 2:51pm
You'll find varied opinions on when to empty the black tank. I'm with Mountainrev. I empty both tanks every trip. During season, I'll put about 5 gallons of fresh water in the black tank, along with chemical, after flushing. This will slosh around and make soup out of any small amount that remains in the tank, as I drive down the road. So, I start each camping stay with 5 gallons of water already in the tank.

At the end of season, I just empty and add nothing. When winterizing, I'll empty both black and gray into my "nasty bucket" at home and flush down the toilet. There is usually only a very small amount remaining in the tanks after dumping - maybe 1/2 gallon, or so. This way, there is nothing in them to freeze and/or damage the valves.

Don't fear. Once you have been through it a time or two, it will be no big deal. Good luck!
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 7:14pm
Personally, as I'm packing up at the end of short camping trips, I'll run the toilet (a bottle of Ivory bodywash wedged between the flush handle and the bathroom corner works quite well) until the black tank is at least half full.  This makes emptying the black tank much more effective with the weight/volume of the water siphoning down taking everything with it.

As a side note: the shower head easily reaches the toilet and can be used to hurry the process along as well - no need to drag a hose into the camper.  This can be handy when cleaning the toilet as well.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 7:48pm
Take a look at the link in my signature for some light reading.

When you go #2 always fill up the toilet bowl 2/3, first.  Same for the black tank - don't dump it unless it is at least 2/3 full.  As others said, fill it up with water by holding the flush valve if it isn't full enough.  Water is key to avoiding clogs.

When you have full hookups at a campground you can leave the gray water valve open - showers fill it up quickly otherwise.  If 2 people are using the camper the black tank can take a week to fill up.  Don't leave the black tank valve open!  When you know the black tank is close to ready to dump then close the gray tank and take a shower or two so you have the water to rinse the sewer hose as others said.

Make sure the water heater is full before turning on the electric element in the water heater or it will burn out immediately.  It is easiest to leave the black switch on all the time outside, and just use the circuit breaker on the converter to turn it on/off.  No need to drain the WH between trips.  Leave the hot water valve on the sink open until it stops spitting air, then you know the tank is full.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 8:52pm
We are going camping at Pinewood Lodge in Plymouth, MA Friday to Sunday. After all this AWESOME advice, I'm looking forward to trying everything out. I will let you all know how I made out. I do appreciate your patience with a newbee like me!!
Paul & Judy Rask
2010 R-Pod 171

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm
We're back from our weekend of camping in our Pad for the first time. All your advise was so helpful! It appeared that the black tank hadn't been emptied when we bought it. It took a bunch of filling and flushing but we got it running clean. All the systems worked and we used a small ceramic heater instead of the furnace. Too bad the camping season for us is coming to a close. Went to IKEA today and bought some good organization stuff. Again, all your help was awesome and gave us confidence. Thanks so much!!
Paul & Judy Rask
2010 R-Pod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:39pm
Good to hear!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply