R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrom Canada to Disney - Anyone done it on here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Canada to Disney - Anyone done it on here?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 1:45pm
Seems to be a popular trek for campers... We want to surprise the kids this X-mas with a trip to Disney. Plan is to tow the R-Pod down and stay at Fort Wilderness (with State Parks and Wal-Marts on the way) and after Disney continue down to the Keys for a few more days.

Has anyone on the group here done this trip... any suggestions or recommended places to camp on the way?

Since we just picked up the trailer we hope to get a few local camps in before I winterize just to be more familiar with everything. After that I'll put it away until January and de-winterize enroute... and again winterizing on the way back.

Thanks!

J
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:08pm
We went from Lyndonville( which is 35 miles south of the Canadian border) to Disney World ( Fort Wilderness) for a 10 day stay, then south to Lion Country Safari and onto the Keys. It was a great trip. While on the road we stayed at Flying J truck stops in Elkton,Md , Latta, SC, Kenly,NC and Fort Pierce,FL. We also stayed at the South of the Border resort.
It was a great trip! We did it two years in a row 2009 and 2010. Towing our 171 with our Dodge Grand Caravan.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 6:24pm
For all the times I've passed South of the Border I think it's time I stopped in there too! 
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
They have a pretty nice campground, if I remember right they didn't have cable when we stopped. Do have a nice pool though. They have a lot of nice shops to go through.
We stayed at Sugarloaf Key KOA it was 15-18 miles from  Key West. The was a great restaurant across the street called Mangrove Momma's great food! Amazing ribs and conch chowder.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 10:16am
I guess it depends from where in Canada you are leaving. Along I95 we have found the following to be great overnight (or longer) spots:

We driveway camp with friends in Florida, but I have heard good things about Anastasia in St. Augustine

Haven't taken the Pod further south than Ft. Pierce - still a beautiful area. Having lived in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) for 25 years, anything south of Ft. Pierce on the east coast is just too crowded. Still love the west coast though from Sanibel north to Fort Meyers.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 11:11am
If you have the time the Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome. A really nice bark about half way down is the Bald Mt. state park in NC.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:47pm
I 2nd the truck stop suggestion.  We've been all over the place, including from Florida to Maine this past summer, and when you are just trying to put pavement under the wheels for 2-3 solid days they work well - easy on, easy off, and the price is right.  Buy your gas from them and ask them if they prefer if campers park in a particular area.  Sometimes they do.

Especially on all-day treks, multiply times that mapping apps (like Google maps) give you by 1.3 AND add another hour for lunch.  And split each day into 10 hours max including breaks - towing is much more stressful and draining than just driving.  I've done 14 hours straight from our house to Orlando many times but when the camper is behind me it wouldn't be possible.  Especially on long multi-day slogs.  Google says it is 19.5 hours from Toronto to Orlando.  That translates to 25.3 hours + 3 more for lunches, so two 10 hour days plus one more over 8 hours.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 10:33pm
I'm planning 3 days with the trailer... usually takes me 2 but I'll give the extra day so I can take it easy.

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 8:10am
We usually leave Lyndonville at 0700 and get down to Elkton ,MD at the flying J truck stop by supper time. We speak to the clerk an they will tell you the best place to park. They have a Golden Corral attached to their building. We then leave the next morning and stop by the South of the Boarder campground ( last time we went it was $22 for a full hookup site) or 8 miles down the road is a flying J in Latta, SC and on the third day we are pulling in to Fort Wilderness by mid to late afternoon.

It is really a good trip. We have gone right down I-91 to I-95, be aware the total on 95 do add up the Jersey turnpike alone is around $38 each was towing a pod. the other tolls range from 5-12 dollars.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply