R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you use Weight Distribution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you use Weight Distribution?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:14pm
Load the camper and TV up as if you were going camping, before they install the WDH. Fill the water tank and water heater, load up chairs, etc.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:08pm
I think the closer the TV is to capacity with the load you are hauling the more you need WDH/Sway Control.  I can pull three 177s before I reach capacity.  I have towed thousands of miles with this setup with no problems.  YMMV
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:30pm
I'm new to towing and so need some education. I understood it that a WDH helps with "porpoising" or an up and down motion, but does nothing for sway. Is that true? Because I agree, a sway bar is well worth the cost for safety. But, while a WDH can make for a more comfortable ride, haven't noticed much porpoising and so I haven't been concerned about getting a WDH.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:52pm
Here are the facts about WDH and anti sway from eTrailer.com

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:57pm
Also info in the link in my signature.  Short answer - some WDHs include sway control, some don't.
GoingForBroke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:00pm
Howdy Howdy. Just thought I'd throw my experience into the ring:

I haul a 171 with a lifted 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Tow capacity is meant to be 5000 WITH a WDH. That being said, I do not use sway bars or a WDH. I have been pulling this camper for 4+ months with no major issues. BTW, when I say 4+ months, I mean the wife and I have been traveling since May in the Pod, so we've been around the block. Through the rockies of Colorado, the deserts of arizona, Utah, Nevada... Up and down the coast of California to Portland and Seattle. 

I will say, we take it pretty easy. My average tow speed is 55MPH. If I start hitting 70 on a downhill, I might catch a small bit of sway... but it's easy corrected via my trailer brake controller. Semi's have a tendency to suck you in a bit too when they fly by, but it's nothing an attentive driver cant handle.

From someone who considers himself an experienced driver, these items aren't necessary. For comfort and ease of driving however, if you've got the extra cash you might as well have a trailer shop hook you up with what you need, specifically for your TV.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:57pm
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 3:05pm
Yup, that's the point where it is too late to install...
jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by GoingForBroke

Howdy Howdy. Just thought I'd throw my experience into the ring:

I haul a 171 with a lifted 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Tow capacity is meant to be 5000 WITH a WDH. That being said, I do not use sway bars or a WDH. I have been pulling this camper for 4+ months with no major issues. BTW, when I say 4+ months, I mean the wife and I have been traveling since May in the Pod, so we've been around the block. Through the rockies of Colorado, the deserts of arizona, Utah, Nevada... Up and down the coast of California to Portland and Seattle. 

I will say, we take it pretty easy. My average tow speed is 55MPH. If I start hitting 70 on a downhill, I might catch a small bit of sway... but it's easy corrected via my trailer brake controller. Semi's have a tendency to suck you in a bit too when they fly by, but it's nothing an attentive driver cant handle.

From someone who considers himself an experienced driver, these items aren't necessary. For comfort and ease of driving however, if you've got the extra cash you might as well have a trailer shop hook you up with what you need, specifically for your TV.

I've been following your videos since you guys started... I think I was looking for R-Pod reviews on YouTube and I came across your first post right at the start of the journey. A great adventure for sure...

I picked up my pod last night and we set up the WDH prior to leaving and it was an easy tow the 4 hours home. The previous owner took the time to explain everything and set it up right which was great. I got a high quality brake controller as well and it did it's job once I got it set.

We towed through country roads and major highways with loads of traffic and had zero issues. My milage sucked but I'll get use to towing and hopefully tweak my speeds to get the best performance.

Thanks for the help everyone....

mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 1:18pm
Congrats!! Glad everything worked out.
Missouri Matt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>