Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWant tow vehicle recommendation for 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want tow vehicle recommendation for 179
    Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:44pm
Thanks to each of you - you gave me lots of good info. I got the message that we need at least 5000 lb capacity and we'd be foolish to try to push a TV to the top end of its capacity (push being the operative word in the mountains Wink).

ToolmanJohn, you started us thinking in a new direction. We were trying for a small TV because I didn't want to be driving a big vehicle around town. I'm short and don't feel comfortable - as a driver - climbing up into and driving a bigger rig.

So we reconsidered. Dear hubby decided that he'd be willing to part with his beloved Ranger, drive the TV, and let me continue to drive something small for jaunts around town. 

So - hey presto - that put a new slant on ToolmanJohn's list. Scratch the "not a pickup." We can happily choose #1 and 3 and are currently looking for a 2-4 yo F150, which has torque and weight capacity to spare. They seem to be plentiful and reasonably priced. Several others would work, too - we've just started our search.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Pam

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:34am
Before you decide on a pickup, please consider one of the larger SUV type of vehicles.  We use a Ford Expedition.  It is essentially the same chassis, engine and running gear as a ord F-150.  but it has a lot of advantages over a pickup.  It is fully enclosed, has a roof rack for bikes or boats, has more covered storage, more seating capacity and is generally more user friendly.  there are 2 different sizes available with lots of choices as to interiors, colors, etc.  Make sure it has the factory tow package,

We have towed out R Pod cross country from East to West and from North to South and love it.  I think it's the best tv we could have

travel safe

Vann Evans 

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
WashStateNana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:55am
Thanks, Vann. Those are good reasons to keep SUVs on our research list - and I prefer their looks and comfort, too. Fortunately, we're not in a rush. Lots to look at and think about.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:06am
I agree with the SUV. At first giving up my PU hurt.. then I bought a utility trailer that will carry more weight, is easier to load and unload, and will carry stuff like my big riding mower to the shop if needed. Much better combo.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 5:45pm
 I bought my first SUV after owning my home for several years. All I had ever owned were small economy cars, or mid-sized sedans. I never had the slightest interest in owning a pickup truck, as I had no need for a truck.
 I started having to tow a small trailer loaded with 1 ton of pellet fuel to my house 3 times each Fall. The 1998 Olds Intrigue sedan didn't like the extreme hill I live on when towing. And, occasionally, a Winter snow would prevent me from getting home in the evening. I would have to wait until the plow trucks sanded... Which sometimes took several hours of waiting.
 So I wanted 4wd or AWD, and some reasonable tow capacity, and that's how I ended up with a 2003 4Runner. Great reliable vehicle, had it for 10 years... Then I towed the 2013 R-Pod ... The 4Runner is barely adequate as a tow vehicle at highway speeds (55-65mph). Still not a P/U truck fan, so I ended up with a diesel SUV, and so far, it's been a perfect commuter vehicle, and an excellent tow vehicle. I won't be looking for a new vehicle for at least 6-7 more years. Should be some really nice hybrid diesel/electric powertrains by then.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Gavin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
Hi OP
We have the Rpod 176t, its a little smaller than the 179 but heres my experiences thus far:
I have a ranger 3.0 and would not even think about it except on maybe very flat land and just a short hop for few miles maybe 20 or so.,,if you have the higher rated 4.0 ranger with a better towing capacity then you might be ok....but just that...ok
The DW has a Ford Edge crossover rated at 3500 tow capacity and I have seen a Cheyenne camping center video on youtube towing a rpod just fine with a ford edge crossover but its on Iowa country flatlands.

With all that said, I went up I-26 into the mountains of NC from SC;
up the Saluda grade and onwards to I-40...there were some decent hills along the way and I could really feel it pulling on a F-150 I have...it has the tow package and a 5.4 liter/330 cu inch engine...it often would downshift to get the power it needed from the automatic transmission.
I was surprised as to how much I could feel the trailer back there...on flatland it did pretty good and was not often "felt".
My observation told me a crossover V-6 something or other around 3.5 or better would be ok in flat country but I feel a transmission would be repaired or replaced within a year or so if you did a lot of hill country with it.
Will I be using the DW's Ford Edge to tow with it? Heck no, after what I felt in the hill country towing with the f-150 I don't even want to think about how much a transmission rebuild would cost!

IM also short and I do a bulk of my driving in a Toyota corolla and leave the F-150 in the driveway about 99% of the time.
The ranger is something hard to part with...Ive had it since 95 and the original owner...they are about the toughest truck Ive ever had but they are too small( other than the extended cab 4.0 ... maybe?)for the rpod.
If I didn't tow with the f-150 my next choice would have been to get and Expedition
All the best!
Gavin
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by furpod

I agree with the SUV. At first giving up my PU hurt.. then I bought a utility trailer that will carry more weight, is easier to load and unload, and will carry stuff like my big riding mower to the shop if needed. Much better combo.

This was my solution too.  Used the utility trailer with my minivans before the SUV.  Many times I've had a full load of people plus the trailer full of kayaks.  Can't do that with a pickup.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:35pm
Tonight we took a beautiful rig for a test drive - 2010 Yukon, one owner, 71k miles. It has lots of goodies - leather interior, backup camera, heavy duty tow package, power liftgate, remote start, clean and looks like new. The dealer has it listed at 31k which seems in the ballpark for its age and condition. We were hoping to not spend that much for a TV, but this sure is tempting.

Opinions on Yukon - thumbs up or down?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 10:46am
Yukon is the same as the Tahoe, which is the little brother of the Suburban/Yukon XL.  Both models are excellent tow vehicles, with body-on-frame construction, rear wheel drive, and enough hp and torque.  The Suburban/XL has a higher tow capacity because of the longer wheel base.  Longer wheel base gives you more stability.  When I was looking around the Subs and Tahoes with the same age/mileage were nearly the same price so I went with the longer wheel base.  The 5.3 engine and 6 engine both have good hp and torque curves.  If towing power is more important than mpg to you, look for one with the 6 liter engine.

Seems like a steep markup.  I paid around $29k for our 2010 Suburban 3 years ago, which had 27k miles at the time.  It was in excellent shape and had multiple options, although not all of the same ones you listed.  You pay more for the GMC badge and leather seats but that still is a lot more IMO.  I would check out the pricing of Subs and Tahoes of the same age/mileage for comparison.

Something to know about - the valve lifters on the 2007-2011 engines have a problem, enough that Chevy issued a Tech Service Bulletin on it and they cover replacement under the powertrain warranty.  Mine developed it over the last 6 months and I'm now negotiating with them over having it done (I took it in for diagnosis 3 weeks after my warranty expired!).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:07am
After much deliberation and mind-changing, we purchased the 2010 Yukon. The price sounds high, but the price was right in line with several similar age/mileage local vehicles. The dealer came down a couple thousand, so we feel like we got a fair deal.....and we love the extras.

After we recover from the big cash drain, we'll be ready to drive the TV to dealers and private parties to find the second half of the team. 

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments! Without you, we would have bought wimpy instead of powerful Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>