Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm
Welcome.  Any vehicle rated to tow 3500 pounds can tow either of those models.  HOWEVER, you can easily add 1000 pounds to the unloaded vehicle weights shown on the Forest River website, between add-ons, propane, clothes, kitchen stuff, food, and a full load of water.  You can just barely get away with it if you don't fill up the fresh water tank and don't overload on your "stuff".  But you are also then pushing the limits of your TV (tow vehicle).

Since your plan is to travel to the national parks and not just stay local, you really will want a bigger TV.  Getting up the mountains in the NE and the Rockies with the horsepower and torque you'll get with a TV rated to tow 3500 pounds will be painful - high RPMs and slow speeds.  I was there, pulling with a Sienna for a while.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WashStateNana View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 7:50pm
I'm sure this has been asked and answered often, but I'd appreciate your advice....

My husband and I are trailer newbies who want to take our 8 yo granddaughter on road trips, working up to longer multi-state trips to see the country. We homeschool her, so we're looking forward to visiting historic sites, national parks, etc. during less crowded seasons.

So - before the trailer decision (179? 180? It's so hard to decide! We'll be borrowing or renting before buying) - we need a tow vehicle to replace my aging car. Most of the time, it will be used to transport just the two or three of us, so a Honda Pilot or Ford Flex (two that we've been looking at recently) seems like overkill. And we'd rather not spend that much, either.

We know an F150 or similar would handle the job nicely, but we're not in the market for a pickup. My husband loves his Ranger (12 years and 200,000+ miles!) and would not part with it. 

Is there a smaller vehicle that would safely tow a larger pod? Or is a midsize SUV/crossover better? Would love to hear about your experiences and favorites - I know there are lots of possibilities.

Thanks!
Pam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234