R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical System Problems - Event Date: 25 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Electrical System Problems
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:49pm
I recently bought a new rpod for adventures away from services. I have had problems with my (new) batteries holding charge past midnight (when the CO alarm goes off!). If I drive for 4 hours I can have batteries for awhile unless I run refrigerator off gas which still draws power.

Now The pod will not run off of electric connection, truck or solar. 

I think that somewhere in my system I have a short or a faulty inverter but not sure where I should be focusing. 

I have had some discussion with dealer but so far no luck with them.

HAs anyone had problems like this with new pods?
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:51pm
No, this sounds very unusual. Most Podders can go for several days on battery off the grid, easy. 

It sounds like you may have several issues, it may be best to let your warranty work for you. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 8:02pm
Welcome.  It sounds like you've been running your fridge on DC mode while on batteries, which you can't do.  It will kill the batteries in a few hours like you described.  DC mode should only be used while you are towing, and I recommend that DC mode never be used due to inadequate wiring on most TVs (tow vehicles).  Use propane mode unless you have AC power available.  It uses FAR less power from your batteries and very little propane.  Depending on if you have 1 or 2 batteries you might go 3-6 days w/o needing to recharge.

The alarm you were hearing is the LP detector, which will sound if the battery voltage drops too low.

No inverter, you have a converter.  Check the circuit breakers and fuses - if the main breaker and the self-protection fuses are blown then nothing will work.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply