Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamper storage/Zoning Laws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper storage/Zoning Laws
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:15pm
 Yesterday a local police officer rang the doorbell. He explained that someone in the neighborhood had complained about another neighbors' 30 foot fifth wheel travel trailer being parked in that owners driveway, thereby causing the vehicles to be parked on their lawn and on the street.

The officer explained that trailers over 28 feet were now allowed to be on the "front property" of a single family home (?? didn't know this, not that it applies to me or the R-Pod). He also said that I would have to move my R-Pod to my "rear lawn" from my "front yard"( it's in my driveway, picture included). Hmmm... I have a couple days to find out if he is just misinformed on zoning. Going to visit the town attorney office and zoning office. The rule is that campers/boats (no more than 2 total) cannot be stored on the "front lawn" of a single family residence.

My camper is stored in the "back" of my property in the Winter, I move it off the driveway so I can snow blow. I move it back onto my driveway in the Spring a week before the first trip, usually Memorial Day weekend. It goes "back" behind the house next to the shed in late October typically.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:39pm
I think your city attorney will set the record straight.  I think for some, a trailer or abandoned vehicles viewable from the street can really be an eyesore.  Wish you luck on your local ordinances.  Safe travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:58pm
Ditto the Town attorney should be able to address your concerns. Good luck!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 1:04pm
 EDIT: The down street neighbor with the fifth wheel has removed it already, I have no idea where. 

I have been parking the camper on my driveway since 2012. I am one of 5 owners of a "RV" on the street. I wasn't the first owner either. I never complained about the 5th wheel, although it was ludicrous where he had it parked next to his house in his driveway. He parked a car UNDER the trailer coupler connection, it was funny to see.  His other three large trucks were on the lawn or street. It is BIGGER than the small cape house. The problem was the parking situation. It created a one lane road because of the across street neighbors.

The people across the street from him have 5 (!!!) cars in the household, and can only park 2 in the driveway. During most of the year, the other three are on the street. Our town has a Winter parking ban starting December through March (IIRC).

I won't be to put out if I must store it in the "back" of my house (which can be the "side", not sure). I will have to kill the grass, put down plastic and fabric, and top it with stone, then park on plywood. The side is not level, worse than my driveway. Kind of a pain to prep for camp trips.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm
Wow! my HOA will not even allow a pickup truck to be parked in the driveway because they are considered work vehicles :(
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:03pm
Pull the grill out on the driveway, get a big cooler full of cold drinks and invite the neighbors over for a BBQ (and free beer)!! And a Pod tour. Sometimes you catch more bears with honey than you do with bees.

I feel for you. When we lived in South Florida I had to build a privacy fence on the side of my house to hide my boat. Now, we have the smallest lot in the neighborhood @ 3.5 acres - New Jersey. Most are 10+ acres. We have so many more neighbor friends here than we did in South Florida. Funny how that works. When neighbors notice the Pod gone from driveway during camping season, they either call or come over and want to see the pictures. Then I have to fire up the grill!

Keep the faith and a smile and pick your battles carefully.

Safe Travels!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 6:49pm
   At one time we had more cows and horses for neighbors than humans. But over the years things have changed and humans have become the majority. So far we have heard no complaints but that may change but we are not the only one with a camper and there are a few horse trailers. We are zoned agricultural but if that changes which developers have been trying to change we too may have a doorbell ring with someone telling us we have to move our camper. I like being social with humans but the cows and horses had there own peaceful ways that I miss. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:25pm
In our county trailers must be behind the plane of the front wall of the house (extend it out in all directions).  So your pod would be legal.  My parents learned of this the hard way in their tight-knit community when someone new moved in and promptly called the county on them and several other neighbors for multiple "problems".  Happily that person didn't live there long.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply