Topic ClosedBoondock Camping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boondock Camping
    Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:03pm
Frequently podders on the site mention boondock camping. I live in central PA and have ample wooded area all over the state to camp. The forest areas open to the public are state forests mostly and many parks have been built providing facilities, trails, swimming boating etc. The parks are beautiful and the campsites come at a cost of around $25 per night.  The parks for the most part are a deal when using everything provided but can add up if you just want a place to park the camper for a week or so.  They are also full on the holiday weekends and elbow to elbow camping isn't my idea of getting away from it all.  I'm sure there are alot of unknown, out of the way camping areas in the woods but how to find them???

My question is what does the avid boondock camper do to find a secluded spot?  What is the edicate for staying on public land without permits, fees etc?  I.E. do you have to notify the ranger station, what about gray water disposal. Are there any other things to consider?

Also, are there any websites or apps available  that podders have used to aid in finding a campsite  while traveling?.  walmart has provided many nites for weary travelers but I'm looking for an alternative to see some of the "off the beaten path" local attractions.   

I also would like to hear what podders idea of what boondock camping is all about and what has been your favorite experience boondocking. 
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
2015 Red Xterra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:18pm
Search BLM camping sites.  Also "free campsites" should take you to some web pages.  Add +PA on your search.  Read rules provided for that site's information.  Check your cargo weight so you know how much water you can take in case they don't have water at the site you're interested in.  Sometimes there are low cost BLM sites with some water/facilities.  Other times it is "dispersed camping" on BLM land for free.  Have fun!

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
Currently 1989 Dodge Class B
Former 1983 Chalet Aframe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
Decades ago we camped in a secluded campsite near the Oregon coast.  We were in a small trailer.  No other campers around.  

Husband is quite the sleeper and he had had his share of some vino the night before.  I was sound asleep and woke with a start.  The young dog was upset.  I was just above sleep and I heard this rumbling along with vigration and then a sharp shake on the trailer.  Then woke up all the way, confused and opened the curtain.  I figured we just had an earthquake.  Could not figure out how Wayne slept through that.

Got into town, stayed that night at hotel.  Could not find any info about an earthquake happening.  Looked for that info off and on for a couple months then forgot about it.

Years later after a couple seasons of Big Foot I realized what it was.  It finally made sense where it never had before.

Christine
Looking At RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:30pm
vibration not vigration
Looking At RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 10:07pm
Try Googling "dispersed camping" along with local NF's etc..

You should get some hits like THIS..

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 3:31pm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
beachmaster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 6:18pm
there is a free smart phone app called"BoonDocking"
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:21pm
I googled dispersed camping and found some recommendations from other campers. It turns out the state forests require a permit to camp if from an auto or staying more than one night. I called the forestry office here in Franklin county PA and was told they do have some out of the way camp sites, however,  the majority are suited for tent camping. According to the ranger the campsites open to trailers are located at trail head parking. This would be for activities such as  horseback riding, four wheelers etc. That isn't what I had in mind for boondock camping but will have to take a ride and check them out to determine if they will suffice. 
Techntrek, I checked out the sub-forum and there is some good info there. I really like some of the active maps available. Thanks to all for the ideas and recommendations. I have some work to do.

Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 9:24pm
We have done a lot of boondocking over the years.  Most of the BLM and open government land is further west than NC.  We have done most of the boondocking in campgrounds that have closed their services (elect/water/dump) for the season, but still allow self contained rv's or primitive camping.  the key is to look for 'primitive camping".  there is a lot of info available on the web regarding State , county, and local parks as well as National parks. The government has a lot of different agencies that has control over the lands, rivers and forests.  Try looking at the US Forest Service, the US wildlife service, the state Game and fisheries dept. etc.
all of them have different areas with different rules.  but there is a lot of good camping areas available if you have the capability to be away from services for a couple of days.

Vann Evans

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
I will check into it. I'm starting with our local state forests for now.  Thanks again for the suggestions.
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>