R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheck Your Windows!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Your Windows!
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:24pm
LOVE this thread, bookmarked for life!

I have gone through bowls of popcorn happily reading this.
Big smileLOLStar
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:30pm
Following Furpod's thinking, if this guy goes AS the implosion will be a Supernova. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Countrygent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 10:40pm
I recently had a problem with my shore power plug having shorted on the trailer side and after looking around my neck of the woods found a well-recommended independent repairer/rebuilder. 

I had some other work I wanted done, but noted in particular that the exterior plastic and rubber components - the handles on the dump valves, the flanges on the dump valve covers, had UV fatigue and just snapped or crumbled from normal use in just a few years.  Then the window and roof seals, and the plastic bead that covers the main sidewall channels were both badly deteriorated.  Clearly an inability of the materials used to withstand just sitting outdoors for a few seasons.  Another example - rusting of the steel bottom frame - clearly a higher quality coating and painting of that frame would resist spot rusting for more than 3 years off the lot.

What do you think? I asked the owner.  His answer - the entire industry uses cheap components and quick construction methods to try and maximize their margins and slide through the warranty period.  Basically, "they don't make them like they used to".  His language was a bit saltier.  

As our conversation went on he took me over to look at a 3 year old Class A ... $150K plus motor home and showed me how many of the components were the same as on the RPod or 90% of RV's for that matter.  Fact is now a few component suppliers totally dominate the market - latches, hinges, seals, sealing compounds, window and door assemblies, piping, valves, appliances ... design and perhaps assembly technique is the main difference among many.

If RV's were built with the kind of materials and specs that are put into marine applications by reputable boat builders, they would stand up to use and the elements much better but the cost would put them out of reach of most of the folks who buy them now.  And lots of folks are remembering simpler times when heavier materials were used, amenities were much fewer therefore the product was less complex ... the entire attitude about obsolescence and replacement was different.  

Get the best bang for our buck and then take it upon yourself to maintain and repair and be vigilant because the durability is suspect otherwise.

It's the world we live in.  Things are not built to last as long as they once were, quite the opposite, they are calculated to find the lowest input costs to make them last just long enough to satisfy the standards of the marketplace.  When they start to really deteriorate whether from use or abuse they will generally be so outdated that it makes major repair unrealistic.  Forest River is playing in a marketplace where they watch the competition and the standards and price points, the quality of labour and supervision they can afford, etc.,. are well known to them.  I think it is great when people hold their feet to the fire and make them stand behind their promises as to quality, but at the end of the day the whole industry is in a race to make them shiny and pretty enough and cheap enough to roll off the dealers lots as fast as possible.

Geoff & Tricia & Phoebe the Retriever
2012 177 HRE
Toyota Tacoma 6cyl
Little Bigpod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 11:33pm
Yes.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Gavin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:45pm
Yes glad to be rid of it, way too many problems for a new camper. Moved on to another camper.
 I really liked the pod but the quality was lacking, if you folks would read through some of my postings about the pod, I even listed the serial number and called forest river out on it and challenged them to fix it and and it was complete silence from them! Fantastic customer service huh?
 So the new 2016 pod had these problems:

One window leak
One upper body leak
One gas leak
One bathroom faucet/ plumbing leakLOL

Yes while under warranty, and I never took it in...why? because as rapid as these problems occurred with that lemon-pod, how many would I had after the short one year warranty was over and other problems began reaching into my pocket? The odds on that lemon going without any problems for any length of time was looking slim.

But enjoy defending a first rate-second-rate camper ...lol Forest River thrives on that mentality!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:27pm
Good luck.........................happy camping
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:28pm
Dear Gavin,

Hopefully you can move on and not have your life shortened due to anger, hatred, and resentment in your heart.  The glass is half-full, not half empty.  The only way to keep yourself fit is by the discipline of the disagreeable.  As we exit a 'trial' in our life we either become better or bitter.  Hopefully the former will be the case for you as another trial will certainly become reality in the future. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
Well said!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Gavin

Yes glad to be rid of it, way too many problems for a new camper. Moved on to another camper.

I suspect I speak for many, if not most here, when I say that "I hope it works out for you and you are happy".

On a personal note, I would be interested to know what camper make and model you found to replace it, as the wife and I are in the market. Always interested in hearing other peoples observations. Pretty sure we have the Airstream sold, and we decided (for now) to keep furpod, so we are going to the RV shows now, in fact this week we start, to try to see what we want next.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:41am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Gavin

I suspect I speak for many, if not most here, when I say that "I hope it works out for you and you are happy".

On a personal note, I would be interested to know what camper make and model you found to replace it, as the wife and I are in the market. Always interested in hearing other peoples observations. Pretty sure we have the Airstream sold, and we decided (for now) to keep furpod, so we are going to the RV shows now, in fact this week we start, to try to see what we want next.

The Airstream will never sell, it is bonded to the floor, it has become one with the barn.  IT LIVES!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>