R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhoto Review of the Quality my 2015 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo Review of the Quality my 2015 179
    Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:52pm
That hole in the bottom of the kitchen cabinet to let in the plumbing lines... I have the same thing!

I didn't notice it until a month after we purchased our 2015 179. One morning, I saw a glow around the cabinet door and wondered where that sunlight came from. The hole is big enough to allow mice, bugs, whatever to enter the pod. I don't know if spray insulation is big enough to cover it, and I'm looking for some round plastic covers to allow the water & drain lines through but cover the rest.
2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:23am
Last year I had a mouse chew in through a thin spot at my low point drain.
When I refoamed it I cleaned it out a bit and put steel wool in the cavity first.
So far so good.  Wink
Worked on a mouse hole in our old house too.
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:17am
CFWarren, yep I signed a purchase agreement and had to put $1000.00 non-refundable deposit to get the process started. That's would I would loose if there were issues that are deal killers. 

Actually, the only reason we are buying from them is of course price, but we are attending a big motorcycle event in Huntsville, Al from 3-6 September. I figured they are only 6 hrs out of the way to save $3000.00 is worth the trip. I probably would not have went that far away to make the purchase if we weren't planning to be that close. I did have them put in the agreement that if the pod is not available for pick up on the 7th of Sept., I would receive a full refund. I didn't want to take a chance on it not being there by the time we return to Texas. 

Anyway, I know it's not going to be perfect, I just hope for no deal killers . If there are issues that are so bad,and I'll loose a grand but I won't complete the purchase if there are major issues. 

I'll report back on whether they do the walk through prior to completing the purchase. Now that could be a deal killer. If they want me to trust them I ask for trust in return. 

Jay I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, your post has been an eye opener. Thanks for posting!!!
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:30am
 It really is sad on the quality of these  mine had a ton of problems too very disappointed .  Talked to an ex owner and there's was just falling apart and they hated it .  
Love to camp
2014 171
topher2u2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:55pm
I can't say that our trailer is perfect, but I think the issues from OP are excessive.  I guess it's still early and we shall see how it holds up.  Hopefully ours wasn't assembled on a Monday.

#3PsnRPod
2016 R-Pod RP 171
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:09pm
More issues here compared to most reports over the years.  Many agree that as the quantity sold in recent years picked up, quality went down.

See the link in my signature for our own version of the "manual".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
  Jay I can relate to the way you must feel we bought our Vibe knowing it would need many things fixed but it was much more than I had planned on. The RV industry must have some very good lobbyist in government because the way many campers are built it should be against the law. We ended up having to rebuild the entire front dinette section of our camper and part of the kitchen. My wife and I actually fell through our dinette seats a cardboard box would have been stronger. I called the production manager and sent pictures his reply was they are building them better. Well the V Cross Vibe division of Forest River is no longer in business and has been discontinued. One can only wander why or how that came to be. I told them their construction reminded me of the quality of the Yugo automobiles once sold in this country they were considered the most unreliable automobiles ever sold in the United States. I feel sorry for those who work very hard to save money to buy a camper and it is very poorly built and need of repair before it leaves the dealers lot. But there are some good quality campers and some well built r-pods it all depends who has been hired to do the work at the time they are built.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:46am
Some of the problems you found have been an issue for years and can be blamed on suppliers. FYI, I hear Dometic is running around at the Goshen FROG rally fixing beeping fridges like crazy. This is after I heard a FR rep in WV say it couldn't be a widespread problem or else Dometic would have issued a recall. Ho-kaay. Your solution to the beeping fridge seems to get to the root of the problem and I urge you to share it on the Facebook group.  FR can't control these things, and there are only so many supplier of RV parts. Still frustrating to the owner though. 

Others may show some sloppy workmanship but don't really hurt anything IMHO: sawdust and junk in hidden compartments, jagged slivers around holes in hidden areas caused by the use of a spade bit rather than a hole saw. Wiring that looks like a plate of spaghetti. I found these things in my pod too, and that's just because it's a mass produced RV.

Others things are unacceptable and are the kinds of things I saw during a recent walk-thru of the new models in WV. I saw those over-driven screws causing cracks, and that is un-excusable and would be a deal breaker for me. I saw staples that are so far off the mark they completely miss their target or are left uncovered by trim. That's sloppy workmanship pure and simple, maybe caused by rushed employees. Gaping holes way too big to compensate for sloppy placement under lights and around pipe. Part of my job was to make assembly jigs and fixtures for auto assembly and I can tell you they are in desperate need of some at FR. Raw edges of exposed fabric sticking out. How could anybody see that and think it's OK?

I have found and fixed a few of these in my old pod, but didn't have nearly the problems you have. I sealed some holes with spray foam and tightened some screws here and there. I also had to countersink and reinstall some of the screws in the rdome track. Other things that have come up over the years are to be expected and are normal wear and tear. Broken drawer slides, cracked light covers, leaky window weatherstripping, loose trim.

Another FYI: the original pods didn't come with fender lights or a rear light bar, so when they were retrofitted after a recall I found the wiring to the fender lights blocked the rdome skirt. I added inline plugs to the wires on that side so I could pass the skirt through that area. Just have to remember to plug them back in before we go back on the road. I'm happy with the quality of my old pod, and the kind of issues you point out are exactly the thing that keeps me from trading it in on a newer model or upgrading to a larger model. I'm afraid of the problems that may crop up.

About the only thing that really bugs me about my pod right now is that those da@#med graphics keep peeling off. FR replaced the front ones for me (well out of warranty at the Goshen rally a few years ago) but now the sides are peeling off. Not just FR's problem though, if you look around a bit you'll see that's pretty widespread. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
LePodders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:10am
The outside shower box over the plug annoys me too. They says it safe, but it still doesn't feel right straddling a cord while showering?!
Keenan, Kathryn, Millie, Rio & Cali (2015 r pod 179)
Poddy by Nature
nicfortin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm
Excellent review!
It confirm my choice (as you can see in my sig) we will be buying our first Rpod used becauseof those quality control issues.
thx-a-lot for your work/time.

On a lookout for a used 179 (177 second choice)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>