Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi from Two New MN R-Pod 179 Owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Two New MN R-Pod 179 Owners
    Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:19pm
My wife, Elvy, and I just purchased a used 2014 179 trailer and we're beginning to set it up for our first (very short) trip and camping outing. Two winters ago, we left Minnesota in late October for our first snowbird winter in a VW/Winnebago Rialta (The Good, the Bad, and the Indifferent). Five months later, we staggered back home after having spent a winter trapped in TorC, New Mexico while I became a VW mechanic (since VW doesn't bother to employ such things) and wrestled with that company's awful electronics, service information, policies, corporate incompetence, and dealerships. I was pretty much ready to call the whole RV life thing a washout and return to my motorcycle/tent camping habits until I have to give up motorcycles, tents, and sleeping on the ground and find a nice convertible to grow REALLY old with. My wife, on the other hand, had a great time (other than listening to me bitch about VW) and really wanted to replace the Rialta with a truck (for the motorcycle) and a trailer. At the Minneapolis RV Show this winter, she fell in love with the R-Pod 179 and conned me into looking for one for "us." This spring, I posted a WTB ad on this list and called that "one more honey-do task completed." When one of the listers offered their 179 for a fair price and offered to deliver it, my excuses were all used up. We bought a 179 this past Friday. 

I'm trying to apply what I learned about RV camping two winters ago to the R-Pod, but some things won't easily transfer. I'm going to miss the generator, for example. Our Rialta was pretty tricked out (from a whole summer of upgrading the camper before we left for New Mexico) and I'm having a hard time visualizing how I'm going to create storage for our stuff, the sewer line and hoses, and my motorcycle gear (no point in me going along if I'm stuck in the truck). I'd love to hear ideas and see pictures of what other 179 owners have done to solve these questions. 

Hope to see some of you on the road yet this fall. 

Tom and Elvy Day
2014 R-POD 179
Nissan Frontier SE Supercab 4L 6-cyl, manual transmission
Yamaha WR250X & Suzuki V-Strom
Kayaks, canoes, bicycles, guitars, and a mobile recording rig all have to fit somewhere.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:44pm
Welcome.  There are ways around some of the differences.  For a generator I installed a 2" receiver hitch on the front of my truck and got a cargo tray, and the generator rides up there inside of a custom enclosure I built.  Keeps all of the vibration and noise away from the camper.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Up the Pitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:43am
Hi Tom & Elvy,

We are rank RV-ing newbies, but we picked up our 2016 RPod 179 just over two weeks ago, and we'll be towing it with a Nissan Frontier (6-cyl but auto transmission), so I had to write to say "hi" and welcome. (Also, my grandma's name was Elva and her nickname "Elvy", and you don't hear that too often - makes me happy to hear that name). We love our 179 so far, but we have tons to learn.  This forum seems like a great place to start that journey, so I'll look forward to watching for your posts around here.

Take care, and enjoy your new RPod!

Deborah & Len 

Traveling with Len (the fella) and Ted (the cat)
2016 RP 179 - 2010 Nissan Frontier (6-cyl)
http://www.upthepitt.com
twday66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:57am
Hi Deborah & Len, 

When we wrapped up our 2013 winter trip, we felt like old, worn-out hands at RV camping. We lived in our Rialta for 5 months, limping from one New Mexico campground to the next (NM campgrounds limit you to 14 days out of 20 in a campground) while I troubleshot our VW transmission problems. When the Rialta sold and rolled away, I sort of thought I'd wrapped up that experiment as a collection of poor choices that turned into some good life lessons. I have yet to hook the pickup to the trailer and the thought of backing it into a campsite is a little daunting. Ideally, we'll be heading for a local campground later this week and I'll see how that all plays out. 

"Elvy" is my wife's maiden name, but since Day is about as common as Smith and she wanted to honor her father and his family changed her name to Elvy a few years back. 

Doug, thanks for the generator tip. I'll have to think about that one for a bit. I guess the big reason for "needing" a generator would be the A/C and microwave? Will the battery supply enough juice to keep the heater fan running for an night or two? We'd like to dry camp fairly often in moderate winter weather occasionally, so the heater is a bigger deal for us than the A/C or microwave. 
2014 R-POD 179
Nissan Frontier SE Supercab 4L 6-cyl, manual transmission
Yamaha WR250X & Suzuki V-Strom
Kayaks, canoes, bicycles, guitars, and a mobile recording rig all have to fit somewhere.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 3:57pm
The 12v will definitely hold out for a day or two. I switched out the factory supplied group 24 (no brand or label so I assume it is an auto battery) for a Marine/Deep Cycle group 27. It was also the largest that I could see would fit in my box. I use a solar panel to keep it topped off and has worked like a charm.
A couple of other choices are possible:
- Get a portable propane heater like the Mr. Heater Big buddy. No drain on your battery, but you will need to crack open a vent.
- You could switch out the 12v for two 6v golf cart batteries and use the trailers built in furnace with no noticeable drain for several days.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:11pm
All good info, although you should leave the vent cracked open and a window cracked open any time the A/C isn't running.  The pods are so well sealed all of the water from your perspiration and respiration overnight will leave the walls and ceiling very wet by morning.  Roughly a half-liter of water per couple in 8 hours.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:59pm
Welcome to the group.  If you read back through the  forum posts you will find a lot of good ideas about storage and R Pod living.  Everybody develops a style of their own as to storage of food, clothes, tools  and toys.  We find that large plastic bins are perfect for storage of food, 1 bin for breakfast , 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner.  We also have a fruit and snack bucket.  all of these live under our bed and not in the traffic pattern.  We installed a shower curtain rod in the bath and made it removable. we use it to hang wet jackets, coats and towels.  We use an icebox kept just outside the door for cold drinks and  some veggies that don't need a lot of refrigeration.  That keeps the refrigerator available for colder foods. Get nesting pots with lids-you don't need a full set of anything.  Just enough silverware and dinnerware for the number of people camping and maybe 1 or 2 more for "guests" or serving.  Keep it simple and easy.  Plastic or corelle is durable, easily replaceable and inexpensive.
We made a list every time out as to what we needed to add to the pod and also what we needed to leave at home.  After a few trips, you will be really close to having what you need and not much  extra.  Make the first trip in your driveway-the house is really close to get the things you forgot.

I think the key is not so much as what to take, but more importantly what NOT to take.

travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply