R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrefrigerator runs when turned off - Event Date: 02 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: refrigerator runs when turned off
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:14pm
I would have it on a separate circuit.  I would expect the converter fan to turn off with the fridge's heater no longer as a load.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:48pm
Found out that at least part of my problem is that my converter was not putting out enough to keep the batteries charged.  My 2 6 v batteries were damaged.  Not sure which came first.  That still doesn't explain why my Fridge heating element stays on even when everything is turned off unless something got damaged through the battery/converter problem. Will have to get the service center to look at it again.Unhappy
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:54pm
Have you done both tests to confirm the battery condition?  

First charge it overnight with a known good charger, then let it rest (completely disconnected) for 3 hours, then hopefully measure around 12.7 volts.  

Second, hook it back up to the pod.  Assuming yours has incandescent lights inside, run 8 bulbs (many of the fixtures have 2) for one hour, taking a voltage measurement when you start, end, and again after it rests for 3 hours after disconnecting it.  If your lights are LED you can use the DC mode on the fridge (ironically) with the door open, again for one hour, to apply the same load.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:00am
The board on the fridge had a burned relay that was stuck on.  The DC heater was running even in propane mode so it is little wonder that my batteries went dead.  The tech disconnected the DC line to the heating element at the board so no more power when off but the board still works to control what mode the fridge is in. They are checking into the cost of a new control board but if what I am reading in this forum is correct I will probably opt to not get it because the price is so exorbitant and DC mode really is not very useful.  Mystery solved and now I am safe to go out without worrying about damaging my new batteries.   I thought maybe I was crazy but persistence proved me correct. Thanks for listening and for the pointers. 
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Shelpod

The board on the fridge had a burned relay that was stuck on.  The DC heater was running even in propane mode so it is little wonder that my batteries went dead.  The tech disconnected the DC line to the heating element at the board so no more power when off but the board still works to control what mode the fridge is in. They are checking into the cost of a new control board but if what I am reading in this forum is correct I will probably opt to not get it because the price is so exorbitant and DC mode really is not very useful.  Mystery solved and now I am safe to go out without worrying about damaging my new batteries.   I thought maybe I was crazy but persistence proved me correct. Thanks for listening and for the pointers. 

R-Pod Owners Forum
It's a wonderful thing!

Congrats on solving another mystery!
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:29am
Glad the fridge issue is solved. It sounds like some RV techs need to consult this forum.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123