R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED Light dimmers - Event Date: 28 Jul 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: LED Light dimmers
    Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
I know the ones in my flashlights don't put out the same lumens until the batteries die; they get dimmer as the batteries get older.  I'd be happy to swap out my LED's for that kind if I knew where to install the master potentiometer.  
“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can..."
~ J.R.R. Tolkein
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 6:19pm
Sounds like no extra circuitry in your flashlight, but that makes sense since the voltage will remain in a defined range.  Charge cycles on a lead-acid battery can send voltages over 15 volts so it makes sense to limit that, or the voltage can go down to 11 volts so it makes sense to boost that to maintain the light output.

Each light has its own switch so each one would need a pot in the correct ohm range.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 6:26pm
We have had our 179 a little over a year now.  I have had both cataracts fixed and really notice bright lites.   But after using our camper this past summer, I don't notice that they are too bright any more.  I must have acclimated.  Maybe it is because every time one changes a burned out bulb around the house, the new one is an LED.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 2:58pm
I noticed the same thing with some of the LED street lights they've been installing in my area. At first some of them were blinding, but now they don't seem to be as bad.

I just did some poking around on the net, and it appears some LEDs do have a "burn in period". During that time one of their parameters (Vf, forward voltage) changes slightly, meaning less light with the same voltage and current inputs. Maybe someone with experience designing LED circuits can confirm.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 3:36pm
I, for one, really like the Pod lights.  I really like how bright they are.  The problem with them is their placement, not their brightness.  They would be better if some of them provided indirect lighting.  On the 179, one or two lights under the cabinet in the slide out would be great.  They would light the area over the settee without lighting the whole pod.  I am considering a mod to do just that. You might consider using battery powered puck lights in various places for indirect lighting
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 3:58pm
^^^Interesting you mention lighting under the cabinet. Our 179 came with a light in the spot you mentioned. Sure is nice not lighting up the whole POD.  I guess They read someone's suggestion. 
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 4:17pm
If one were to put a light under the slide out cabinet, where would one wire it in?  
Ronw435 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 8:52am
We just bought a 2016 178 and it has a light in the slide out under the cabinet.  The lights are a little bright so the one under the cabinet works great.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by john in idaho

If one were to put a light under the slide out cabinet, where would one wire it in?  

I haven't investigated, but since there is 120 AC wired there, I assume that one could find a route through which to feed 12v wires as well.  Obviously you'd have to leave plenty of slack for flexing and some kind of protection against possible chafing.
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 2:41pm
My wife painted the interior of the light lenses with Rust-Oleum Specialty Frosted Glass paint. She used about 4 or 5 light coats to get the level of opacity she wanted. It provides a nice diffuse light. Unfortunately we did this at the end of the season so we haven't had much real time experience with this change. 

Amazon link to paint:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XCKBA?sc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>