R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZamp Solar - Event Date: 27 Jul 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Zamp Solar
    Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by MPRpod

In response to Topher 2u2 and his 100W Renogy setup:

I'm contemplating the same setup for a two week trip to the desert, but know little about electrical. What you describe seems simple enough but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly since I don't have the Zamp connector on my 2014 177. 
It appears you use the alligator clips supplied with the panel to connect from the panel directly to the battery - is this correct?
It also sounds like there's an in line fuse with the alligator clamps. What does the fuse protect if you're using the charge controller?
You mention you charge phones with this setup and here's where I really demonstrate my ignorance: If you're running the Pod only off the 12V system, how are you watching TV or charging your phone? Do I need to buy an inverter of some type? 
I'll have a generator with me as a back up but want to minimize use and the amount of gas I need to carry. Thanks for any help, advice, or clarification!

The solar panel will need to run to a charge controller, which regulates the voltage and amperage going to your batteries and charges them correctly. So your solar panel will be wired to your charge controller, which will also be wired to your batteries. I show how to do this with lots of pictures in the thread I referenced earlier.

I have a 10 amp in-line fuse going from my charge controller to my batteries, though it isn't absolutely necessary. It's a safety measure so that if something screws up with your charge controller and/or solar panel, it won't fry your batteries.

You can indeed run your TV from your batteries, but you will likely need an inverter to do it unless your TV runs on 12v DC. You can either use alligator clamps to connect the inverter directly to your batteries, or you can wire your inverter into a spare opening in your Pod's fuse box. Be aware that a TV will probably draw at least 100 watts, maybe much more, and this will drain your batteries in a matter of hours. If you plan on watching a lot of TV while not running your generator, I would suggest looking at some of the small DC powered TVs out there. Some even have built in DVD players and only draw 5-10 watts.

To charge your phone, all you need is a 12v socket. These must also be installed into an opening in your fuse box. There are many pictures in this forum of people showing how to do this. It took me about 20 minutes. You can then use a car charge to charge up your phone.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
rumman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:58pm
I have a 2014 179 , dual 6V batteries and a 150 Watt solar panel permanently mounted on the roof with a charge controller and my display on the controller  never goes below 12.0 volts. Have used them for a week running on just batteries with no problems. I also have a 2000 watt Yamaha generator just in case, have yet to use it with this trailer though. I couldn't be any happier with this setup. Works like a charm. Well worth the investment.
2014 RPod 179 towed by 2016 Chev Colorado (V6).
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:40pm
I have a 2015. 179. It came with the Zamp port. Does it also come with a regulatir/controller? Seems like if the Pod comes setup for a Zamp solar panel pthere would be a regulator/controller built in to the system. If using a inverter are 2 6 volt batteries better than one 12 vwith a solar Charger? Also, anyone have an opinion on a flexible rooftop Panel?
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Plantguy

I have a 2015. 179. It came with the Zamp port. Does it also come with a regulatir/controller? Seems like if the Pod comes setup for a Zamp solar panel pthere would be a regulator/controller built in to the system. If using a inverter are 2 6 volt batteries better than one 12 vwith a solar Charger? Also, anyone have an opinion on a flexible rooftop Panel?

the ZAMP system includes the solar controller, as do all folding portable panel sets. The trailer is equipped with wiring to the battery from the port only.

The inverter itself doesn't car what kind of battery it's hooked to. Without going into the need for an EE, the inverter and battery(ies) DO care about the discharge rate. Size appropriately.

I don't like roof top panels because it means you have to have the pod in the sun, and you can't aim the panels.. a double negative. With a portable panel setup, pod can be in shade, panel in sun, and the panel can be manually tracked.
Chacoan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
I am getting ready to install a 100w solar panel to the roof of my 177; can anyone tell me about the infrastructure of the roof?  I have removed the A/C cover and can see a metal framework but am not sure if there is a layer of plywood under the fibreglass roof top that will hold the screws. ThanksSmile
Chacoan
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Chacoan

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">I am getting ready to install a 100w solar panel to the roof of my 177; can anyone tell me about the infrastructure of the roof?  I have removed the A/C cover and can see a metal framework but am not sure if there is a layer of plywood under the fibreglass roof top that will hold the screws. ThanksSmile

If you're interested in this mod, I would highly recommend that you go with flexible solar panels. Considering the shape of the Pod's roof, it's far easier, structurally sound, and aesthetically pleasing than the traditional, though cheaper, hard panels.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:03am
You'll be happy with the Renogy. I added an extra battery and am charging with the Renogy 100W. No problems whatsoever, plus I can use the solar charger to maintain the batteries when the trailer is parked. Much more affordable option than the Zamp.
Mike
StauchwallBend View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 12:03pm
The Zamp Solar system is mfg here in Bend Oregon.  The extension cable I purchased looks quite similar to one sold by Battery Tender.  Overall, although pricy, the Zamp system is functionally easy to setup, monitor, and stores nicely beneath the rPOD 179 sleeping platform, where I also store a step ladder to aid in attaching the Pahaque Custom awning and slide cover.
StauchwallBend

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 12:06pm
The 100w panel is plenty for our needs.  We have run a the 12v fan (all day and night), watched TV, charged phones, and run lights with no concern of draining the battery.

Are you using a DC TV or running an inverter for a 120 volt AC TV?
StauchwallBend

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by StauchwallBend

The 100w panel is plenty for our needs.  We have run a the 12v fan (all day and night), watched TV, charged phones, and run lights with no concern of draining the battery.

Are you using a DC TV or running an inverter for a 120 volt AC TV?

The extension cable in the picture from Battery Tender looks remarkably similar to the Zamp extension cable I purchased for 4x the listed $$.  I need to check the wire gauge, but suspect this Battery Tender extension cable should work on my Zamp 120 volt panel setup.

StauchwallBend
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>