R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZamp Solar - Event Date: 27 Jul 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Zamp Solar
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:47pm
No one has really addressed what watt is sufficient regardless of brand.
Is 80 okay? Too much, not enough?
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Pilotwh

No one has really addressed what watt is sufficient regardless of brand.
Is 80 okay? Too much, not enough?

It depends on what your energy needs are.  Given that the refrigeration can be run on propane, most of us have modest needs.  LED lighting, a few small, inverter driven appliances, fans, radio, 100 to 130 watts would certainly cover it all.  If you want to watch TV or keep your laptop turned on or want to run an icemaker, you might more.  In sizing the system, you have got to take an inventory or your power needs.  You should also remember that the rated output of a panel is based on ideal circumstances.
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:04pm
Ended up placing an order for the Renogy 100 watt. We'll see!

Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:32pm
My wife and I do a lot of dry camping ( no hookups) so my dealer recommended 2 - 6 volt batteries.  We're in our fourth summer and have never had an issue with the batteries running low.  I finally used a multi meter to keep tabs on them this summer.  On a recent 4 day trip the batteries measured 12.80 at the start and 12.46 the end. I looked long and hard at the Zamp panels and the gear head part of me wants them but the practical, cheap part of me says "why bother!"
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 11:01pm
In the thread below, I show how I connected a 100 watt Renogy solar panel to the Zamp port. It's a simple process when you have the correct equipment, which I discuss.

If you are willing/able to make several adjustments to the solar panel throughout the day so that you get maximum direct sunlight, you can send about 30 amps (360 watt hours in 12 volt terms) to your batteries. This takes into account the inefficiencies of battery charging.

360 watt hours is enough to power a 30 watt device for 12 hours, for instance. Whether this is enough is dependent on what you're planning on running. This should be enough to keep your refrigerator's electrical panel going, allow for lighting in the evening, and let you run the Fantastic Fan for a bit as well. If you want more than that, you'll probably need multiple panels.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5017&title=connecting-a-100-watt-solar-panel-to-zamp-port
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
topher2u2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:25pm
I purchased the Renogy 100w Suitcase and it came with an SAE connector that will plug right into the port labeled a Zamp ready on the R-Pod.  I chose to connect to the battery instead because the alligator extension has a built in fuse and when you pull the off the extension from the SAE connector, the fuse is no longer in-line.  I guess I could wire a fuse into the cable, and still use the SAE port.

The 100w panel is plenty for our needs.  We have run a the 12v fan (all day and night), watched TV, charged phones, and run lights with no concern of draining the battery.

#3PsnRPod
2016 R-Pod RP 171
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by furpod

Zamp is not the least expensive.. doesn't make them a "ripoff" any more than a Mercedes is a ripoff. Can other cars get you from a to b for less money? yes. But that doesn't have jack to do with if you were ripped off or not buying it.

Again this is just my opinion:  Yes a Mercedes costs more than a Hyundai of same size, and it is generally accepted that the Mercedes is a better quality product.  In this solar panel scenario, I think you're paying Mercedes price for the Hyundai quality.  I haven't seen anything to show that the zamp panels are any better than renogy.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
Price is not always a guarantee of quality.
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:47pm
We have a portable 80W Go Power panel, works great.  However, this spring we installed a 100W Solarflex panel on the pod roof.  We cannot store the pod at home so now the (dual) batteries are always charged, even after sitting in the storage place for several weeks.  It has been a big simplification in our podding.  We haven't yet had to plug in the portable panel, but may need it if we park in the shade, or when the daylight hours decrease.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
MPRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:50pm
In response to Topher 2u2 and his 100W Renogy setup:

I'm contemplating the same setup for a two week trip to the desert, but know little about electrical. What you describe seems simple enough but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly since I don't have the Zamp connector on my 2014 177. 

It appears you use the alligator clips supplied with the panel to connect from the panel directly to the battery - is this correct?

It also sounds like there's an in line fuse with the alligator clamps. What does the fuse protect if you're using the charge controller?

You mention you charge phones with this setup and here's where I really demonstrate my ignorance: If you're running the Pod only off the 12V system, how are you watching TV or charging your phone? Do I need to buy an inverter of some type? 

I'll have a generator with me as a back up but want to minimize use and the amount of gas I need to carry. Thanks for any help, advice, or clarification!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>