R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTires on your tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires on your tow vehicle
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:23am
Originally posted by ChinookPod

Our truck needs new tires soon and we also are interested in the Michelins.  However, they are not the "recommended" tires for our model, according to the Ford website.  Not sure why.  We will check with the Ford folks before final choice.

Would you link where you found this information please. I have never heard such a thing.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:33am
We use Michelin LTX M/S2 on our Ford Expedition and love them.  we have used Michelin tires on all of our vehicles in the last  10-12 years and never had a problem.  They are not cheap, but I feel that they are worth the extra cost.  they don't leak, don't lose belts, don't puncture easily and wear well.

travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:56am
Originally posted by furpod

Our truck needs new tires soon and we also are interested in the Michelins.  However, they are not the "recommended" tires for our model, according to the Ford website.  Not sure why.  We will check with the Ford folks before final choice.

Would you link where you found this information please. I have never heard such a thing.

Auto manufacturers "recommend" certain tires for their vehicles. Factors include load carrying capability, ride quality, physical fit, etc. For example Toyota "recommends" P265/70R16 for my Tacoma. However, I can buy LT tires in the exact same size and capabilities or even LT245/75R16s that would work just as well. The problem is tire manufactures use the auto manufacturers listing when fitting your TV. Therefore Michelin and other vendors "recommend" their P-metric tires for my truck, but I could and will replace the OEM P-metric tires with LTs as soon as these wear out. As long as you meet the load rating and don't mind a slightly rougher ride when not towing, LTs are probably a better choice.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:40pm

I priced Michelins and Bridgestones Saturday, and in September a set of Michelins are going on my 2010 F150.  They go on sale in September at my local Costco.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:28am
going with the michelins as well.  does everyone get an alignment with new tires?  always a good idea, see whats recommended, no need if old tires are good and no pulling?  I have always been curious about this subject.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12