R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge not working on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge not working on propane
    Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 8:30am
Hi
My fridge won't light on propane. I can hear it try to light but after that all I hear I constant clicking, it sounds like the igniter but no flame = no cooling. I have lots of gas and it runs on 110 and 12 volts.
We are presently in newfoundland and not close to any service companies.
Any ideas out there. I would like to get it running before we get back home. We still have four weeks to go.
Ed
Trees love to toss and sway; they make such happy noises.
(Emily Carr)
Pam and Ed
2011 R177
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 8:57am
Sometimes you need to reset it and let it try several times to light.  You can also light the stove burner beforehand to bleed the lines and that can help.

I've had to cycle mine after it fails to light 3 or 4 times before.  Even the manufacturer will tell you this process.

So after the red light comes on saying it failed, turn it off completely and then back on to propane again.  You'll hear it go through I think it's 3 attempts of the clicking each cycle.
CARR-POD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 3:47pm
Hi
I forgot to mention the red light did not come on.  I tried starting it a number of times, tried purging the lines, even put a fresh bottle on but no luck.
The red light thing has me baffled. 
Ed
Trees love to toss and sway; they make such happy noises.
(Emily Carr)
Pam and Ed
2011 R177
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Do you have spider webs or wasp nests in the burner?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Do you have 12v? it must have 12v to run, no matter what mode.

The control panel lights are on? If not press and hold the power button until the control panel turns on.

The thing is close to dead silent, so if it was showing in gas mode, AND the red trouble light isn't on.. odds are it's running and you don't realize it.

If you are starting from a warm fridge, and not just changing modes on a cold fridge, it will be a day before it gets good and cold.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
Echoing John in Idaho and Furpod......

Go outside and remove the access panel to the fridge workings. It will have 2 "buttons" near the top. Turn them 1/4 turn, tilt out at the top, and lift out (the bottom is held in with tabs).

You can now check inside for any "critters", as John mentioned. If all is well......

Leave the access panel off. You will notice a 2-2 1/2" metal flue pipe that goes up to the roof vent.

Turn on the fridge in propane mode and then go out and feel this flue pipe. It should begin to warm up, as it exhausts the combustion. This is the only way I know to tell if the fridge is working on gas. As Furpod mentioned, it is dead silent. Give the flue pipe a minute or two to warm up. The fridge doesn't use much gas.

Also, as mentioned, please pass along if you are starting with a "warm" or already cold fridge. Since you are hearing the "clicking", and not getting an error signal, this indicates to me that the fridge "thinks" it is working OK.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm
I went out and took a picture of the flue pipe:

Your arrangement/layout may be a little different. I have a NORCOLD fridge in the Coleman. I believe the PODS are still using DOMETIC.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 11:15pm
Even with a flame and warm flue it may not cool, that is how mine was operating (or not) on gas mode. But, it would be a start to see if the flame is working at least.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:44pm
Hey Techntrek. What did you do to fix yours? Our pod fridge barely cools on propane. Works well on shore power or battery. It is level in the drivesay right now. The flue gets hot and I took an air compressor to the bottom area of the flue and inside the flue to clear out any spiders. What can I check next....

Thanks
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 10:43pm
You need to run a rag up and down the chimney to ensure it is clear.  Then you need to - carefully - remove the orifice and blow it out.  It is very tiny and has a very very tiny hole in it.  Put anything into that hole and you will need a new one.

I tried both of those things, and bought a new orifice, and still had a problem.  The service dealer said they thought it was the gas valve on the fridge.  The deal for my current camper fell in my lap before I got that fixed so I don't know the final outcome with the new owner (it was fully disclosed on my ads so they knew about it).  It ran fine on AC and DC so the ammonia absorption system was fine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>