R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed30 amp line tester - Event Date: 15 Jul 2015 - 25 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 30 amp line tester
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 4:55pm
A friend of mine uses some sort of "line tester" for the 30 amp outlet at campgrounds to check on the right voltage, polarity, etc.  I've been looking online for such a device.  

Any links to these on Amazon?

Is there any need for this?  He also uses a surge protector and I've ordered one of them.

Thanks,

John

JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
Here's what I use: http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/30a-portable-surge-protector  I bought mine on Amazon for about $80.  Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/TRC-44260-Amp-Circuit-Analyzer/dp/B00JYMZ8HK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436994675&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=rv+surge+guard+30A+surge+suppressor

You can spend more for a fancier one with an LCD readout or hard-wire version that you install in the camper if you want.  I like this one.  It's simple, just plug it in and it works.

Never experienced it myself, but some folks say pedestal power can be flaky at some campsites.

I also like the surge suppressor here in Central Florida aka "Lightning Alley".
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 6:30pm
Thanks John BG.  

I guess I was/am a little confused thinking that there was an inexpensive plug-in device that would check the amps, volts and polarity without the surge protection option.  I have a surge protector, but was looking for just a meter to tell me if it was safe to plug in the rpod with surge protector I have.

Maybe they don't make such a thing and I'll just rely on plugging in the surge protector I own and hoping for the best.  But if you knew ahead of time that the circuit was good, it would be handy.

But thanks for your response!

John
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 6:37pm
There might be a stand-alone analyzer, but all the ones I have seen come with the surge suppressor like the one I bought.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:32pm
See the link in my signature, the first link that comes up on that page.  I talk about using 2 inexpensive testers to check for correct wiring and to be sure your camper frame isn't live.  If you want to check for voltage too, you'll need a cheap voltmeter.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:59pm
This is an electrical tester that I put together from directions on some RV forum--maybe this one, but I can't remember where it came from.

It is simply a 30 amp male plug mounted to a pvc receptacle box with the standard receptacle inside.  Plugged into the receptacle is a standard receptacle tester which shows polarity, grounding  and hot/ground or hot/neutral reversed.  the second (white) item is a voltage indicator .

I'm sure there are probably more sophisticated instruments available, but I made this one for about $30.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm
You're very ingenious and electrically talented than I am.  I've already ordered a kit on Amazon that another member uses (and explained with a YouTube video).  But thanks for showing us your work!

John
 Post Reply Post Reply