R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease read & check your hitches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please read & check your hitches
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:55am
I always use the jack to lift the rear of the TV to make it easer to put the lift bars on without using the tools.. This way I know the trailer is attached to the ball!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 6:57pm
Thanks, I thought that maybe case.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
I removed the Trailer Tray. Now that I have a pickup truck, I can carry the generator in the truck bed since it has a locking cover along with a locking tailgate. I was concerned also about the Trailer Tray interfering with the sky view of the Hayes Sway-Master.  I needed to remove it anyway since I was not sure if the R-Pod was going to be totaled or repaired. Now that I know it will be repaired, I still need to leave it off so that it won't be in the way when it goes to be fixed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:15pm
SH,

Looking at HitchItSafe. I have asked OEM about how it plays with the sway bar attachment at the TV hitch. The HitchItSafe swivels with the TT and both are attached by the hitch ball. Might not be a big deal and the HitchItSafe is relatively inexpensive.

Different question - I see you mounted the Hayes device to auto brake sway. I know we both have an aframe cargo mount, where did you mount it to access the "sky"? THANKS
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
ScottHouchens View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:10pm
Thanks for sharing this information.
Scott L Houchens
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 1:11pm
I would not rule out a worn or defective coupler. Here are some pictures of mine:

Latch open:

Plate slid back:

Latch closed:

Plate slid closed:

As you can see, when the coupler is latched and the plate is slid closed, there shouldn't be room for the ball to pass through the opening.

One thing you need to check is the tongue weight. 10-15% of the trailer's weight should be the tongue weight. Example: If the trailer weighs 3000 lbs, the tongue weight should be 300 lbs. If it is less, it can lead to sway. It also might be contributing to the hitch popping off.

One other thing you could look into is a device made by HitchItSafe. It would help prevent the hitch from popping off the ball.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
grovny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 11:57am
Hi Stephen,

2" ball, latch down and secured with a pin, and I nudge the car forward and backward and pull up vigorously on the hitch to make sure the vehicle comes up a little with it.  I haven't tried jacking it up after hitching to be absolutely sure, but my concern is that the thing is working itself loose over a number of miles (don't know how that's possible with a rod securing the closed latch though).

The first incident happened about an hour into the trip after encountering a bad bump in the road.  The most recent incident happened after 3 hours of driving.  I'd gone over a number of rough spots during the early part of those 3 hours with no problem.  The point in the trip where it came off the ball was on a fairly smooth highway - very bizarre.  Then yesterday I googled the situation and found a number of people with the same problem, who all have the same hitch style.  Some have alerted the National Highway Safety Board.

I'll take a look at Equal-i-zer hitches - I thought about one originally, but the r-pod 172 is so light that I didn't think I needed one.
2015 R-Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:18pm
Grovny,

What type of hitch are you using on your tow vehicle? Is it a simple ball hitch or a weight-distribution hitch?

I have not had problems with the hitch on our R-Pod. I do make sure the coupler is fully on the ball, nudging the car forward a bit if needed before trying to lower the locking mechanism. Sometimes, the coupler's locking plate can be sitting on top of the ball instead of locking below it.  After lowering the locking mechanism, I use a locking pin to secure it so that it can't pop open. Then I use the jack to raise the coupler and ball, which is what I need to do to be able to get the bars on my Equal-i-zer hitch. If I did not do that, I would not be able to get the bars on, even with the snap-up lever. If it were not fastened correctly, raising it would show. I have never had this procedure fail. We have about 10,000 miles of towing with our R-Pod.

The Equal-i-zer hitch (and other brands such as the E2 or Andersen) are more likely to keep the coupler on the ball as well as the bars exert downward pressure on the coupler and upward pressure on the ball.

Speaking of the ball, is it the correct size (2")? The wrong size ball or a worn ball or coupler could also contribute to this. As for the coupler, I am not sure what type you have. I'll try to get a couple of good pictures of ours. If you can post a picture or two of yours, that would also be helpful. Try to get a good side shot and one of the underneath side of the coupler. I think those would be more useful to help figure out why it is popping off the ball.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
grovny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:13pm
Just found this thread when trying to determine why my r-pod has come off the ball twice (most recently a few days ago).  Latest happened after 3 hours of towing, and still 1 hour from home, at 50 mph.  Very dangerous.  Chains held and the auto-braking mechanism engaged.  I apparently have the faulty hitch type - matches the photos of others who've had this problem.
2015 R-Pod 172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by mccvii

And it sounds like this thing happens enough that experienced owners have a mitigation process.  

It is something I was taught to do with any trailer, long ago.  It isn't an R-pod thing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>