R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-178 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don Halas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-178 Owner
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 9:45am
If you've read or been following this topic you might remember that we bought the R-Pod because we wanted something that would be towable with our 2014 Mazda-CX9 which is rated at 3,500 lbs. max tow weight.

We towed the trailer home from Pennsylvania to Connecticut when we bought it.  We also did a short weekend two weeks ago about 60 miles from home.   The CX-9 did an admirable job and seemed to handle the load without issue.  In both situations the drive was in an optimal conditions, no traffic, moderate changes of elevation, mostly highway and a conservative load.

I realized that the tow weight limitations would mean I would not be able to carry anything but a small amount of water/waste and also would be limited in any additional weight I added to the load.  Most of all I worried about the cars capability in less than ideal travel situations; bad weather, heavy traffic, long trips or extended travel.

So, I moved up to an F-150 and more than doubled my tow capability (7,200 lbs.)   We still love the CX-9 and would probably still tow with it for short hauls and limited loads.  We have no interest in a larger trailer, but the F-150 gives me peace of mind and greater confidence of an enjoyable trip.  Also now we might be able to have another couple join us on our trip.

CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:39pm
With that brand and model of sway control, avoiding backing with it attached might be a good idea.  Personally, I wouldn't have mine attached if I had to back uphill, I can see where that might cause a problem.  But on smooth level ground over a short distance, I see no problem with leaving it attached, just go slow and don't jack-knife....!
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by CFWARREN

"Most likely you backed up with the sway control bar still engaged."

Never heard this before, what's wrong with doing this?

See item 4 on page 1 (unrelated to backing up, but good to know), and item 2 C on page 2 (link below).  Plus it can just bind up even without direct contact and bend.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:08am
The mod I forgot to mention was the additon of a Serta 3" memory foam cooling bed top.  Comfortable, but what a pain in the ass to try and make the bed.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:09pm
"Most likely you backed up with the sway control bar still engaged."

Never heard this before, what's wrong with doing this?
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:34pm
Most likely you backed up with the sway control bar still engaged.  It should be loosened up and removed from one of the 2 balls.  Not sure how you broke a safety chain, unless it bound up on something during a turn.

For the screw, an old carpenter's trick, glue a wood match (or other slim piece of wood) into the hole.  Once it dries break it off, smooth it out, and the screw will hold again.

Lots of sawdust ends up in all the cracks during manufacture, it should go away for good after a few trips.  Lots of podders end up with memory foam mattresses.
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
Just completed a 16 day trip to Colorado in my new RP-178.  I stayed in a couple of Walmarts and one Cracker Barrell going and coming.   Dry camped (boondocked) near Silverton for 13 nights.  I didn't use the AC or the furnace but everything else worked well.  I used more water than I thought I would and had to fill up a couple of times.  I ran a Yamaha 2400 generator for around an hour every other day to keep my battery charged.   It towed easily behind my Chev Silverado.  I did break on of the safety chains(?) and bent the plate that holds the small ball for the sway bar; not sure when, where and why but fortunately I was able to get a link and repair and keep going.

A couple of concerns inside:  1) the queen bed is not level.  It bows higher toward the rear of the trailer.  2) a screw came out of the bathroom light switch and won't hold when I try to put it back.  3) A sort of fine sawdust appeared on the ledge underneath the television and on the mattress at the back of the trailer.  I borrowed a handvac and cleaned it up but it reappeared under the tele.

I'd appreciate any comments about the crooked bed.  And I think I'm going to invest in a memory foam mattress although I slept pretty well on the stock. 

MICK
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 3:33pm
The toilet paper is on pvc tubing suspended by a cord.  It is hanging from a double stick tape hanger mounted up and underneath the sink and hung with metal S-hooks..

I have not yet done it, but a second smaller chord (or bungee) could be placed under the sink opposite the other and then looped around the TP roll pulling it back and up.  It will work, just don't if it makes sense to do that, or just pull the TP and hanger out of the shower in the few times I expect to use the shower. 

The battery cut off is a Hella I purchased from Amazon.  Not much room to mount on the battery case, but I got it to work.

Nanc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:17am
the pictures really help to visualize thank you

for the TP- what is the elastic cord attached to under the sink?
and when you say "tucked up", do you mean in the under side of sink? what holds it in? and what about spray bouncing off your body?

where di you get the battery cut off and is it easy to install
Nanc
Namaste
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:50pm
I like the custom jars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>